CHAPTER 9 - SEASON 2

"They're a bunch of fancy people. They've had three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years" Kie gave us some background on the Limbreys as we looked for thir adress.

"This Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues" I said looking through the window at their neighborhood. The houses were huge, almost triple the size of Figure Eight houses.

"You sure this is the place Pope?" JJ asked once Pope parked in front of a huge house.

"Pretty sure" He answred as we all stared at the place. We all got off the truck quickly and walked towards the fence slowly. "Twenty-Seven King street" Pope checked we were at the right place.

"Talk about home security" JJ said as we contemplated the fence of the house. "Are those spikes to keep people out?" He asked.

"No" I said to him.

"The slave quarters are over there. These spikes were to keep people in" Pope shighted. We walked towards the front door and Pope knocked loudly. "You think that was too much?" He asked.

"It echoed the entire house, that's for suere" JJ said to him.

"They definitely heard it" I said.

"Mabey nobody's home" Kie said in a quiet voice. Pope knocked again, and in the meantime, a man opened the door. Pope quickly took a step back, scared.

"You must be Pope" He said pointing at my friend. We all looked at eachother suspicious.

"Are you Mr Limbrey?" Pope asked the man.

"Mrs Limbrey was expecting you yesterday" The man corrected Pope.

"Oh. I'm... I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here" Pope started explaining.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville" JJ joined their conversation. "Sorry about that"

"Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up" The man stared at Pope.

"We tried to call, but there was no number on the invitation" Kie explained.

"We got here as fast as we could" I then added.

"She also expected you to come alone" He insisted.

"I mean, these are my friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too. I—" Pope said.

"The instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside" The man interrupted him. He gave Pope a fake smile.

"We're kind of a package deal, man" JJ started saying.

"JJ. It's okay. I got this" Pope interrupted him. "I'll be good" He started to walk inside.

"Yeah" Kie smiled.

"We'll be right here" I said to him.

"Keep the car running" Pope said to Kie. They squeezed eachother's hands before Pope got inside the house.

We went to the car again and waited for Pope to come back. JJ was sitting in the drivers seat and I was besides him.

"You smell like alcohol" He suddenly said. I turned around quickly.

"What?" I asked him confused.

"You drank again?" He asked me. "I thought you wanted to get better"

"I do J, it's just that-" I started saying.

"You don't care" JJ rolled his eyes.

"It's not like I don't care, it's just really hard JJ. It's not easy, like you said, I have a problem" I started to raise my voice.