Chapter 28; Avengers, Avengers, Avengers

Steve

*Thump*

Why did you do that Rogers?

*Thump*

You're such a damn fool!

*Thump*

You should have just told her the truth. Now she's gone forever

*Thump*

The tenth punching bag files across the room, bursting to smithereens and littering the gym floor with sand.

"Steve? What the hell are you doing, man?"

I turn round to see Bucky standing at the door of the gym, his eyebrows raised as he assesses the wreck. I look at him and go to pick up another bag. He walks over to me, cautiously. His footsteps making soft crunching noises as he step over the sand covering the floor.

"Have you been in here all night?"

I glance at the clock on the far wall. 2pm? I hadn't realised.

I continue punching, ignoring the dull pain making my chest twinge.

"Steve?"

I turn to face Buck. He looks concerned.

"She was here last night. She found out. That absolute scumbag of a man broke into her apartment last night and told her everything. He laid his hands on her again!" I punch the bag with all my strength, shouting in anger.

Bucky's metal arm is suddenly on my shoulder. I stop and look at him, panting heavily.

"It's okay, Steve. Now can you please tell me what the hell you're talking about?" I sigh and wipe my head on my towel and grab a shirt from my bag.

"Fine. But first I need a beer."

***

"Oh, man," Bucky says quietly as we sip our beers in the kitchen. "And Tony went to the hospital to tell him to leave? I'm surprised he didn't kill him! Or you for that matter."

I shake my head an take another gulp. "Buck, I had to find the strength, deep down, to stop beating on him. I wanted him to feel every bit if the pain he had caused her."

"I get it, Steve. You love her." I look at Bucky and he's grinning.

I shake my head. "It's doesn't matter, Buck. She's gone. She hates me and I don't blame her." I was going to tell him about the letter and everything Ellie said in it, but something stopped me. I suddenly just wanted her kind, loving words to be for myself.

A groan escapes my throat as I down the rest of my beer. Tony's coming

"Hey."

"Hey, Tony," Bucky says, tentatively. "Want one?" He holds up a beer.

"Nah, I think I need something stronger than that. Care to join me?" He goes to the cabinet and pulls out an expensive looking bottle of whiskey.

Bucky laughs, humourlessly. "Yep, think we're all gonna need one of those."

Tony hops up on the counter beside us. He looks like he's about to make a toast but decides against it.

He clears his throat and I finally look at him in the eye. "Did you tell him?" He asks, motioning to Buck.

I nod and take a large chug of the whiskey.

"I assume she found you last night and had it out with you after she came to me?" I nod again, clicking my tongue.