Chapter 2: The New girl

I ring the buzzer and wait nervously for the response. The massive metal door slides open and a huge man wearing a black suit and sunglasses towers over me. His expression is very intimidating.

I stand there silently for a moment, looking straight at him then; wink.

Suddenly, he reaches down and grabs me into a tight hug which knocks the wind out of me.

"Happy, put me down!" I pant with as much power in my voice as I can muster. He drops me and rustles my hair. "Hi, Kid." Be beams. "Nice to see you too, Hap."

I wish Happy was my brother and not Tony. Happy has cared more for me since I eventually met him 6 years ago than Tony has in 15. "I wish you had let me pick you up at and bring you here." He says. I note a bit of guilt in his voice. "Aw, you know I'm not in to all that fuss, Hap."

"No, you're not. Unlike that flashy big brother of yours." I'm just about to speak when I hear a voice over the intercom shout; "Has my no-good sister finally decided to grace us with her presence?"

I roll my eyes to the point I think I'll give myself a headache.

"I'm here," I sigh and Happy gives me a soft squeeze on the elbow. He can sense I'm nervous and in that moment I'm so glad he's beside me. "About goddamn time, I'm getting old here".

I give Happy a weak smile and slowly make my way to the elevator. "Getting?" I mutter to myself and as the elevator closes and I hear Happy laugh faintly.

Lab 3 is based on the 15th floor of the massive Avengers compound. I still sometimes can't get my head around the fact that my brother is an Avenger. It's a part of his life that I've nearly really been involved in. Until now. As flashy and flamboyant as Tony is he has never really opened that part of himself to me before. And I didn't really mind. Just an obligatory invite to the odd party where some of his colleagues frequented. That's why I was so surprised when he asked me to come work for him a few weeks ago.

I was lost in thought and didn't realise the elevator doors had opened when a set of strong arms wrap around my neck. "Finally!" Natasha spits out. "He has been losing his shit and ordered me to come find you. Ass." I smile at Nat as she leads me down the corridor to the lab.

As we walk down the long corridor I can hear a loud rhythmic thump getting closer and closer. We walk by another huge room, this one with dark windows and I can just about make out where the noise is coming from. It was a gym and there is a man absolutely punishing a punching bag. He's tall and wearing Khaki pants and a white tank top which was stretched across his body as his arm and peck muscles pulsate. He hits the bag so hard that it breaks off the chain and flies 20 feet across the room. I let out a small yell with fright and he turns around to stare at me. Our eyes met for a split second before Nat grabs me nearly pulling my arm out of the socket. "Shit!" I scream as she drags me further down the corridor. "Do you have a death wish or something? Tony is going to kill you if you're one more second late." she hisses.

We approach lab 3. I take a slow deep breath to steady myself before Nat turns to me. "It'll be okay. He's your big brother and you're the best computer geek in the business. You'll be fine." I give her an unsteady laugh and we walk in.

"Oh, she's finally here. The queen of the goddamn world. Thank you, your majesty for sparing a minute out of your busy schedule to greet us." He walks towards me, giving me a slow clap. "Shut it, Tony." I am not in the mood for his bullshit today. "I prefer Lord Iron Man of House Stark, if it's all the same to you." He replies with a childish grin on his face. "What are you like ten years old?" I ask. "Yeah but I read at a twelve year old level-, WHAT IN THE SHIT ARE YOU WEARING?" He looks me up and down in bewilderment. "What?" I say, playing dumb. "Is that what you wear on your first day at a new job?" I pause, taking my time to answer. I look at him wearing an almost identical outfit and quip; "Must have gotten my fashion sense from you old man," I struggle to keep my face as dead pan as possible. I can just about see Nat smirk from the corner of my eye. He chooses to ignore this comment which I count as a win.

I walk further into this massive room which is filled with the most advanced and high-tech machines I have ever seen. I was used to working in shitty internet cafes and middle management IT firms. It's beautiful and takes my breath away. I'm so lost in the moment that I jump when Tony shouts; "Ok geniuses, I'd like everyone to meet Ellie Hart. The new girl."