Twenty Six

"The truth is, Wonwoo actually likes you."

It feels like Seungkwan suddenly turns deaf but he hears it clearly. He turns quiet for a while until a response escapes his lips. "Hyung, that's the most impossible thing."

"I don't think so." Wonsik shrugs his shoulder. He then props his elbow on the table and rests his chin on his palm. He looks dreamy. "Wonwoo was five years old when he first met you. You're a year behind him, right? He really likes you when he first met you."

Seungkwan slowly nods. "Yeah, maybe back then he does. The situation now is a bit different."

Wonsik chuckles upon remembering a memory. "I remembered how he would always ask Mrs. Boo's permission to let you stay at our house every Saturday so you can stay up all night playing his board games under the blankets with the flashlight he kept on stealing from my cabinet."

Seungkwan bit his lower lip. He can recall those days and those were the great times. He starts feeling his chest gets heavy upon realising how horrible they turned into. "Yes, I can recall that. Grade school days."

"Uhuh." Wonsik nods. "I was there with the two of you from the start." his eyes never left Seungkwan. "But there are some things you probably didn't know."

Seungkwan finally meets Wonsik's gaze. "Like what..?"

"Little Wonwoo once asked me how to be with someone forever. Just like Mom and Dad. I told him that you should marry the person you really like so you can be with that person forever." A playful grin draws from Wonsik's lips upon reminiscing. "He then said.. 'I should marry Seungkwan then.'"

Seungkwan suddenly turns stiff. He can hear his own heart pounding from his chest.

"I was not really taking it seriously and it goes like that. But he grows up in an environment where the same-sex relationship is hardly accepted that he kept it to himself." Wonsik says as his smile fades. "But I know, I'm his brother."

"Until Mrs. Boo got sick and mom and dad decided to adopt you," Wonsik adds, he was getting serious this time. "And that's how it started, I guess, when he starts getting aloof with you. He starts hating you." Wonsik sighs as he crosses his arms. "But I don't think he really hates you. What he actually hates is the idea of you being his brother."

"I mean, why..?"

Wonsik's gaze didn't leave Seungkwan. "How can he marry you if you become his brother?"

"Hyung, I don't think so-"

"Wonwoo starts coping up with the frustration with hatred that he grows up hating you as well. He just can't accept the fact that he can't be with you the way he wants to."

"I.. I can't process this.."

Wonsik chuckles again as he reaches for Seungkwan and pats his head. "You never mistreated my brother even though he causes you a lot of pain. I really admire you for that. But I also hope that you can help him cope up with it." his smiles fades again. "I also feel bad whenever he's being pressured by the family because I feel like it's my fault."

Seungkwan bows his head as he fiddles with his fingers. "I wish I can. I don't know what to feel or.. I don't know if I can stand seeing him without thinking about our talk."

"Sorry, did I messed up with your mind?"

"Ahhhhhhh. My head hurts." Seungkwan grabs his own hair and pulls it like he's about to go crazy.

Wonsik laughs at him as he points at Seungkwan's face with a visible shade of pink on his cheeks."You're blushing Kwannie."

"Stop it, hyung-"

"You still like Wonwoo, don't you?"

---

Seungkwan was casually walking home as he sees a familiar figure upon reaching the apartment complex. His heart starts pounding again and he can feel his cheeks heat up every step he takes closer.

"Wonwoo hyung..?" Seungkwan mumbles as he gets closer to the guy.

"Oh.. hi, Seungkwan-"

"Why are you here?"

"I brought Jack, and also these," Wonwoo says while showing the bag carrier with Jack inside and a plastic bag with boxes of snacks and foods.

"I already ate dinner. You should head home." Seungkwan says as he faces his back on Wonwoo and starts walking ahead to enter the building. His heart still pounding. Everything Wonsik told him fills his mind. Seeing Wonwoo up close just makes it worse for him.

"H-hey.. Jack wants to play with Bookkeu-"

Seungkwan stops and glances at his back. "I'm not in the mood for a visitor tonight."

Wonwoo turns silent after that. He then releases a sigh as he walks towards Seungkwan and let him carry Jack. "Alright. Just take Jack then I'll go. I'll come to pick him up tomorrow."

Wonwoo didn't make another word after and starts leaving. He was just a few steps away when he heard Seungkwan call his name.

"No, wait. Wonwoo hyung!" Seungkwan calls. Wonwoo turns around in an instant and looks at Seungkwan.

Seungkwan bit his lower lip and stares at Wonwoo do seconds before giving in. "Fine. Come upstairs," he says before storming inside.

Wonwoo walks after him, not aware of the smile drawing upon his lips.