Chapter sixty

60. BUILD IT UP

Night had finally come around, the air gaining a soft chill about it and the natural light having to be replaced with artificial sources

Quite far away from the rest of humanity, a cosy cottage lay in the fresh green woods and inside was a small, happy family. A mother, a father and their children.

"Are you okay, my love?" Finn asked gently as he walked into the kitchen in a simple white and grey sweatpants — wrapping an arm around Camille's waist and giving it a soft squeeze.

"Just tired." Cami smiled tiredly at the man she had grown to love. She couldn't imagine a life without him and vice versa.

"Mommy." Sean padded into the kitchen and over toward his mother, eyes still bleary with drowsiness as he clutched the wolf toy Hayley had gotten him tighter in his hands.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" Camille questioned her son softly as she wrapped her arms around him comfortably.

"Nightmare." Sean replied timidly, burying his face into his mother's neck and looking for any source of comfort that could be provided.

Cami let out a small exhausted sigh as she swooped up her son in her arms and hoisted him up on her up — kissing Finn's cheek affectionately as she made her way back upstairs to put her sleepy son to bed.

Finn watched them go with an unbelievably soft look in his eyes — he could not believe how lucky he was. He had only ever had two loves in his life, romantic loves. The first one was a fiery redhead woman named Sage and Finn was grateful for her, but he'd come to the conclusion that they weren't meant to be. However that didn't erase his platonic care for her, because before they were loves they were friends. Camille, however, was another story. She was — and he could say this without a single doubt — the love of his eternal life.

"Get some rest, sweetie. I'll see you in the morning." Camille grinned tenderly at her son — placing a kiss on his forehead and tucking him into his bed before turning to get up and leave. "I love you."

"I love you too Mom."

• • •

Silent but hasty footsteps sounded against the outside floor as they made their way toward the cottage. The harsh breaths exiting their mouths being the only sound whipping around in the dead of the cold night.

"The Original is home."  Was announced quietly to the group and they all shared looks of either hesitance and determination — some a solid mix of both emotions.

"Take him out." Commanded the leader of the operation with so much sick satisfaction and apparent malice that it shot shivers down the others spines.

"On it." Whispered an obedient follower.

Footsteps descended down the small hill of stone steps and the stone path which led to the cottage.

Through the window, they could watch the different scenes play. Their target was exiting out of her child's room while the Mikealson was leaning against the kitchen counters, arms crossed, seemingly being deep in thought.

What they couldn't hear however were his thoughts and this would be the means to their haste downfall — unbeknownst to them obviously.

"Sir. I think there's someone, multiple someone's approaching." A paranoid and anxious follower of the hollow whispered to the ring leader.

"Be quiet." The leader snapped dismissively, not paying the comment any mind as he kept his eyes on his target inside the cottage.

He probably should have listened.

The anxious follower, Reed, kept his ears open to the outside world instead of focusing his attention completely on the targets — a notably smart move — and he was positive he heard the clicking of boots against the forest floor steadily approaching them. He was positive he heard a small yet feral growl drifting in the nights air.

But, his anxieties were ignored and dismissed by the ringleader of the operation and well, everyone listened to the leader.

"Are we all ready to go?" The leader asked with a crazed looked on his face — preparing to do the action he believed were for the greater good.

A chorus of either unsure or ecstatic 'Yes' was heard and the leader's crazed look only intensified with an added smirk on his wrinkling face.

"What are we to do with the children?" A follower asked his tone laced in a sick sort of excitement and his eyes positively shining even in the dark of the night.

"They would be a good source of power for our master." The leader muttered more to himself but evidently he was heard — "Bring them to me, alive and unharmed."

Another chorus of 'Yes'.

Reed, the anxious and hesitant follower, had blocked out the orders being thrown as he heard a louder and significantly more feral growl and the sound of what could be an animal approaching.

"Everybody ready?"

Everyone nodded at him.

"Then let the fun begin."

And as they crept into the house they failed to notice the various glowing eyes shining in the dark and the footsteps that ran after them silently.

Let the fun begin, indeed.