Only the Strong (Kuroko x Reader)

~ Tears shed for self are tears of weakness, but tears shed for others are a sign of strength
- Billy Graham

"Kuroko?" you called out, knocking on the door frame of his door as you peeked in on him through the cracks.

His back was towards you, his hunched shoulders shaking ever so slightly.

"Tetsuya? What's the matter?" you tried again, pushing the door open and slipping into his room.

He didn't answer, just covered his face with his hands so you walked over to his bed and dropped to your knees in front of him.

"Come on, Tetsuya... You might feel better if you tell me what's wrong."

You reach out for him and gently pulled his hands away from his face, revealing his wet cheeks.

"Tetsuya-"

"I'm weak" he mumbled, turning his head to the side to avoid your gaze. "I couldn't help Seirin win against Toō..."

You remained quiet, absorbing the full weight of his words before speaking.

"You did your best, right? That's all anyone can ask for-"

"But my best wasn't good enough."

"Tetsuya, you aren't weak. Your strong. Look at yourself! You're crying for the team, not yourself. You're strong in more ways than one."

Kuroko glanced your way for a moment, unable to find words to express his emotions. Instead, he wrapped his arms around you and pulled you into him, bringing your warmth as close as he could.

You gripped his shirt, resting your head on his chest, listening to the stead beating of his heart.

"Don't fret Tetsuya... I promise Seirin will win the next time... And I know you'll contribute your heart and soul into the defining moment."

Kuroko closed his eyes and pressed his lips against the top of your head, his voice reverberating on your scalp.

"I love you, (f/n)..."