Chapter 50

Amee

The Chinese people stare at me as I walk towards the back door with my crutch under my arm, but I ignore them as Kevin always did. I step towards my blue Forde Taurus, which I had only last year been able to save enough money from my job in order to pay it off in total with cash. Even though my whole career is meant to be a cover identity, I would still rather my name be free of any debts.

I grab the handle of my door when a firm hand grips my shoulder. I spin around, swinging my crutch into whoever's idiot enough to sneak up on me, whacking them in the head. I turn to see an older, very skinny and extremely dirty middle-aged man shrinking away from me, gripping his head. My guard is dropped just slightly, knowing that he'd be in no condition to defeat me, even with my disabled leg, but I'm still furious and watch him closely. It only takes a second for him to inject the Evolution, doing the dirty work of an I.O.E. agent that's watching from a distance.

"What the hell do you want?" I snap. He peaks through his arms that still protects himself, and he mutters something. Something that makes my heart drop. Something that I haven't heard for over ten years. "How do you know that name?" I whisper, preparing to kill him. But then he removes his arms and smiles at me, with teeth that would be described on a pirate. "Mr. Halster?" I mumble. His smile widens. A flash of the last time I saw him is forced into my mind. I wanted him to come with us, but Kevin wouldn't allow it. He only wanted me. I was angry with him for years after that, having no idea if Mr. Halster ever survived. "How?" I breath.

"Something went wrong. They were late in giving me the Evolution. It was easy after that," he says.

"What are you still doing here? How did you find me?" I ask, my heart racing. If he could find me than he could've led them here, or they could find me.

"It was a coincidence. I saw you walk into this building. I didn't recognize you at first. You've grown a lot," he says. But still, I glance around, talking a step from him.

"You shouldn't have come to me. You need to leave. Get out of Stonegate," I say, suddenly angry at him. "Do you even realize how dangerous this is? You could get us both caught again."

"I know. I know... But I know why you stayed in Stonegate after you escaped. I know what Kevin was planning when he had helped you. Where is he? There's a reason I came to you," he says. My heart drops with grief.

"He's dead," I say. His face grows pale. I see him swallow and shake his head.

"Well, then I can tell you."

"Tell me what?"

"I overheard something. Stonegate is being targeted," he says. My heart seems to beat faster and harder as it drops.

"What do you mean?"

"Did I ever tell you how I was caught?" He asks. I shake my head. "It was with an entire group of Deviants. I knew most of them. I was part of a large group of Deviants that were all caught at the same time. I'm the last one alive."

"What do you mean Stonegate is being targeted?" I snap, a little harsher than I mean.

"I mean an employee of I.O.E. is somewhere in Stonegate, gathering information. I.O.E. is preparing for an entire new group of Deviants to experiment on," he says. My heart slams so hard against my chest, I feel as if it might burst. Kate. Jesse. Scott. The few people I know for sure is Deviants. Cassidy. I knew she was in Stonegate for a damn good reason.

"Do you know anything else?" I ask.

"Not much. Only that the agent is under cover, by the agent's name is Raevon Knight. She's-" a loud blast goes off, Halster's head jerks sideways, something wet and warm flicks on my face. I let out a short scream. Both mine and Halster's bodies hit the ground at the same time but unlike mine, which scurries under my car, Halster's stills limp, dead. Breathing hard and fast, my chest pressing in, I look around the alley way, my eyes burning. I glance at Halster's face, which is ghostly white, his eyes still open. It becomes extremely hard to breath and to think.

I pull my phone out just as all the worker's burst out of the back door of the restaurant. The first of one of the names I search for is Jesse's, but he goes to his voicemail. The Chinese workers all shout amongst themselves as one kneels on the ground and glances under my car. He says something to me in Chinese. None of them have been shot, but would that matter? Is the hitter going to care that they have multiple Chinese witnesses? But what else can I do? If I just stay here the agent might try harder to kill me. Even though they'll must likely fail if they attempt to approach me. But are they here for Halster or me? Or both?

More than one Chinese people kneel to look at me and some motion for me to come out. One lady holds her hand to her ear and repeats the word "police". I decide to risk it and I crawl at and take cover in the building as fast as my retarded leg will allow me. All of the Chinese people seem to want nothing to do with me aside from one older lady, who directs me to a chair and hands me a wet rag. She says something and motions to her face and then to mine. I wipe the towel over my face and pull it back to see small specks of blood on it. My breath catches in my throat and I clench my hands into fists in order to stop them from shaking.

I stand and walk to the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I take a long shuttering breath before counting to ten. When I can breathe easier, I look in the mirror and wipe the rest of Halster's blood from my face. I have to take a few more moments to calm myself before I step out of the bathroom. By this time, the Chinese people are rushing in and out of the backdoor where I see red and blue lights flashing. The owner of the restaurant rushes into the kitchen and immediately points at me with large eyes, muttering fast in his native language. A cop steps into the door behind him and stares at me. I take another breath, thinking quickly of a way to explain what I was doing here and way Halster would approach me. I hate to put him out as someone who was crazy and speaking nonsense, but it's the only way to save my friends and myself. Halster is part of something bigger as was his death. I'd want anyone to do the same to me if I were in his place. But I don't forget what he said. I don't forget the agent he mentioned. I will remember the name Raevon Knight.

A/N:

Aaah! I don't know if this chapter did to you what I did for me but phew! This chapter was intense!

This is the first time I mentioned Raevon Knight in a chapter that wasn't her own.... DUN DUN DUUUUN.

Thank you for voting and commenting!!