Chapter 56

Jesse

Amee is there before me. From the half empty tequila bottle and the glass that slowly spins in the air in front of her it looks as if she was here long before me.

"It's true," she says, not looking at me from where she sits on the bed, staring at the twirling glass, leaning against the wall.

"What is?" I ask.

"That alcohol can take away your emotional pain too," she says.

"You're Amee Woods," I say, walking to the bed and taking the bottle from her. I take a swig. "I didn't know you had emotional pain." She lets out a chuckle as I sit on the bed next to her. I catch a whiff of her forest smell; our bodies are pressed together. It's the only way we can both fit on the bed.

"I wish that were true. I need it to be true." She looks at me. "What are you doing here?" She refers to the bunker. I shrug my shoulders and take another swing.

"I couldn't stand another night with Clint's roommate," I say. She looks away.

"Can I ever escape him?" She asks. I look at her.

"Not until you two leave college," I say. She doesn't say anything but stares at the glass. I notice that she doesn't move a muscle. "How can you do that?" I ask. She takes the bottle and chugs a gulp. She gives it back to me.

"You feel it. With your mind." I borrow her ability, but I can't get myself to feel the glass until I reach my hand up towards it. "No," she says, touching my hand, her fingers soft and gentle. I turn my head to see her lean towards me. She stares into my eyes, a lazy haze over hers. "You have to relax. Don't just feel the glass. Feel your surroundings. Imagine your hands are caressing the walls. The furniture. Be gentle, or you'll lose control." She talks in a soft voice, a calming one. One that's slow, unlike her. I can't help but glance at her lips. I know a small portion of what happened with her and Clint the other night. But right now, I don't need to know more than the fact that he was with Gracie. He was out on a date with Gracie. Even if he wasn't, that's what it was to Amee.

Is it my imagination, or did she lean closer?

"It's more than pushing things around," she says, "it's a skill. It needs to be mastered. You're in control of it."

"Not it in control of you," I say the same time as she. I see her glance at my lips. Then I feel it. It's so soft, that I don't even realize it. And somehow, it's warm. Even though it's nothing. But it's exactly as she said: she is imagining her hand. I can even feel the space between her fingers. I feel them press against my cheek, her palm on my jaw. And yet she doesn't lay a finger on me.

Then the force of her fingers moves, ever so gentle. Her thumb traces my bottom lip. And then I do it. I feel the softness of her lip against my thumb, and yet it seems to surround me. My heart pounds against my chest. I caress her cheek, until I feel the crook of her neck. I look into her eyes, which have gotten a lot easier to read. They tell me to continue. I want to continue. But I'm confused. And yet, when I pull her to me, pressing my lips against hers, she's the only thing on my mind.

That is until both our lips part, letting each other in.

At the peak of our kiss, I let everything go and pull away, turning away from her. It's hard to catch my breath and my stomach twists so much that I have to stand and put some distance in between us. She stands too.

"I can't do this, Amee," I say. I turn to see understanding in her eyes.

"I know," she says. "It's betraying May Eve."

"It's betraying Clint," I say at the exact same time. We look at each other and laugh. It only lasts for a moment though. My stomach twist so much with guilt, even though I enjoyed the kiss. I could never be with Amee without feeling like I'm betraying Clint. And I have. Back when I comforted Kate to calm her down... I didn't cross a line. But I did now.

"I'm sorry about what Clint did," I say.

"I know that May Eve's been avoiding you," she says. My heart is wrenched between the two of them. It's true. Since our kiss in the forest, May Eve's been friendly, but distant. I glance down at the bottle and take another swig. I force myself to turn back to the door. When my hand is on the knob, I turn back to her. I give her a smile. It's easy to. She's still badass. She smiles at me too.

"I'll have to tell Clint," I say, my smile fading. Hers doesn't.

"Just make sure he knows I stopped because May Eve's my friend," she says. I laugh.

"Goodnight,Amee," I say.

A/N:

Well THAT wasn't planned but I LOVED it!! Anyone else?!?! 🤗😍🤗😍🤗😍🤗😍