Chapter 88

Raevon

Amee's screams of pain drowns out the buzz of my phone. I spare a quick glance to see a message from Clarity the simply says "something's wrong". I let out a breath and put my phone away. Jesse has to be on level 0C by now, but how many Deviant's are left? It doesn't matter. If Jesse is incapable of teleporting, then there's no reason to keep Amee through this pain. I'm surprised Johnny's been able to stomach it, though we are only in the start of it. The interrogator has only asked three questions, to which Amee's answered none.

I glance at Jacob's head, my hands shaking, the temperature in the room suddenly skyrocketing. My stomach churns with dread. I have to do this, I tell myself. I have to.

I glance at Slade's side and see a handgun against his hip, an easy grab. In a flash, I free it from its holster and whack the butt of it to his bald head with all the strength I have. Flipping it off safety, I teleport into the next room with Amee, not hesitating a second before I kill the interrogator.

Immediately after his body hits the ground, I hear the breaking of Amee's restraints. Before she can even stand, she's yanked away by an invisible force towards the only escape. I follow right behind them. Before I close the door, my eyes meet with Jacob's brown ones. My entire frame shakes, almost shriveling up under his furious, betrayed, hurt gaze.

I slam the door close and bolt it.

"Here!" I toss Slade's gun to Amee before feeling Johnny grip my hand. I grab Amee's arm and teleport us to ground level before an elevator.

"Go!" I demand, pointing to a door to our left. "I have to help Jesse. Don't go far, I'll be back," I say, and immediately teleport to 0C, in the prison hall. I meet four Deviants- including Irene and Clint- and Jesse in the hall. I step towards Jesse, who looks drained to death.

"Jacob's coming from 0D and Johnny and Amee are still here," I say in a rush. "Jesse, you can push through this. I need you to teleport two of them out of here."

"Amee has her ability?" He asks.

"Yes," I say, before grabbing the two college students, leaving Clint and Irene behind with Jesse. "Get in the chopper now!" I shout over the blaring helicopter. I scream at Clarity and Kate to do the same before teleporting back to 0C. Jesse, Clint, and Irene are making a break for the elevator. I race after them.

"Get down!" I scream, shoving Jesse and Irene to the ground. Right then the elevator doors open to reveal Jacob surrounded by multiple agents. "Level one!" I call, grabbing hold of Clint and Irene. I teleport to where I left Johnny and Amee and Jesse appears a half a second later.

"Raevon, there's no way I have the energy to teleport anyone but me out of here," Jesse says.

"You need to let go of Johnny's ability then," I say urgently. He looks at me uncertain but nods his head. I turn on my heel and race towards the door, bursting into a large tunnel, the night air hitting us from ahead. I lead them toward the black night until the entire ground quakes. An orange and red light erupts through the night as we escape the tunnel, revealing Amee in all her glory, destroying every single military vehicle she can get her mind on.

"Hey!" I yell to her. Johnny appears at her side, looking slightly overwhelmed by his own sister, and they both race towards us. I hear Jesse curse at the sight of Amee. I turn, reaching out to Clint and Irene, preparing to teleport when in the fire light I see the glint of a gun and Jacob's stone-cold eyes. His finger tightens on the trigger even when I'm not in his line of sight.

"No!" I scream, catching Irene before she hits the ground. I reach up and grab Clint's hand before a breeze passes over us. I release Clint's hand when all I hear is the chopper. I press on the bullet wound in Irene's stomach. "Irene, stay with me, okay?" I say, my eyes burning. "You have to stay with me; we're so close."

"May Eve..." she says. I lean in close, her breath on my cheek. She stares up at the sky, her eyes full of pain but her voice soft, almost peaceful. "It's so quiet..."

"Irene?" I gasp, turning her face towards me. Her brown eyes stare up at me, lifeless.

"Get her to the chopper!" I hear Clarissa scream. Clint appears at my side, his face pale with shock as he gently lifts her from my lap and carries her to the chopper. I stand, my throat tightening, my stomach twisting. With a blurry vision, I look down at my hands that are dark with Irene's blood. Figures move to my right as I begin to shake with rage. He did it on purpose. The piece of shit did it on purpose because I turned my back on him.

"Knight! Knight!" I look up to see Clarissa staring into my eyes. "All twenty-seven are here. We need to leave now!" She shouts over the chopper. I take a shaky breath before nodding my head.

That's when something whacks into my head. Vision full of stars, an immense force throws me in the air, slamming me against a tree. I land on the ground, the wind knocked out of me.

Coughing, I push myself against the tree to see Amee aiming a gun at me, but she argues with Jesse and Johnny.

"You can't kill her, Amee!" Jesse shouts. "We still need her!"

"The hell I do!" Amee yells back. Behind them, I spot Kate rushing over here. She grabs Amee's arm as if to stop her from shooting.

"We know her, Amee!" She shouts just as Amee turns to me to fire.

"She's the one that turned us in!" Amee tells her.

"I know! But we still know her in a way, and she just saved us! If we kill her that makes us no better than them... No better than her," Kate says. It's quiet before Jesse finally steps closer to Amee.

"This isn't the end of I.O.E.," he says. "We still need new identities and money to start over and she has that." Amee glares at me for a moment longer before slowly lowering her gun. She turns from me and marches to the chopper. Kate gives me one last glance before following her. Jesse doesn't even offer that much. Clarissa helps me stand and I walk towards the chopper. Johnny hesitates, as if he wants to say something, but he doesn't.

Johnny finds a seat aboard and I take the co-pilot next to Clarissa. She doesn't say anything or glances at me as she lifts us off the ground. I watch Stonegate disappear with a heavy heart, a completely different feeling from when I first entered it.

A/N:

Was this chapter intense for you guys? 😬 I stayed up way too late in the night to finish it.

Was Irene's death painful? 😢 was it expected?