Chapter 55

Raevon

Desmond sits at his table before me, smiling at me with admiration. His black hair is still messy since it's late in the night and I've woken him up as usual, but his light, aqua blue eyes are pleased, which excites me all the more.

"This is great, Raev! I don't think I've ever seen you this giddy!" He says and I chuckle, slightly embarrassed in myself. But since it's Dez, I don't let myself worry.

"I know, I can't wait," I say. This least I could do is refrain from shouting with thrill.

"And you won't have to do... you know... what you're doing anymore," he says.

"Yes, and I won't have to have..." I try to put the feeling of guilt in other words. People like me aren't supposed to have feelings like guilt. "I won't have to feel like I'm being held back anymore."

"And you can see me more," he says, and I nod my head, not being able to hide my smile. "And I don't even have to say 'be careful' because-" then he frowns at me- "actually yeah I will because you've been waiting for this for so long that you'll end up biting off a chunk larger than you can chew, so yes, be careful," he says and I chuckle as I lightly punch him in the bicep. I sigh and lean back, folding my arms casually.

"I think it's good Jacob made me wait so long. Now I have multiple cover identities to choose from, even though they are all supposed to be friendly, and I hate people..." I sigh again, out of relief. "I knew Jacob had to turn around eventually. I knew I was right about him. He was just preparing me for something greater-"

"Okay, now you're making me sick," he says. I look at him to see his smile's disappeared and he truly does have a disgusted look on his face. I frown at him.

"What do you mean? He's not making me-"

"Just because he's letting you out onto the field doesn't make him any less a monster," he interrupts. My frown deepens and I sit up in my chair.

"Jacob's a good man. He's doing the best for humankind."

"What about Deviant-kind?" He says. My mouth drops for a minute while I'm stuck.

"It doesn't matter, I won't be assigned to that department anymore," I say. He chuckles but it has no humor. Then he squints at me.

"Have you left Stonegate?" He asks.

"No, of course not."

"So, you're still turning in this group. You're still turning in Amee Woods," he says and my stomach twists.

"I have to, Desmond. I can't just leave an assignment unfinished," I say. He nods his head, leaning back.

"Alright, I can understand that," he says. But I don't trust him.

"I... I soon won't have to do this anymore," I say, still trying to help him see the good in this because I know he doesn't. "I won't have to feel guilty anymore..." I see a fire ignite in his eyes.

"You think," he chuckles, again lacking humor, "you actually think that because you're moving onto real threats, the things you've done won't matter?!" He didn't begin by shouting, but he ends with a shout. It ignites my own fire. But he isn't finished. "It isn't enough that you just stop doing it!"

"Yes, it is!" I shout back.

"You're still planning on handing all these Deviants over to Jacob!"

"Yeah, no shit!" I say. Both of us stand and face each other. My fists are clenched.

"You need to make up for all those innocent lives that you killed!" He yells.

"I couldn't give two shits about those 'innocent' lives," I say, no longer shouting. He leans back, eyes wide with slight shock. He lets out a breath.

"You're just like him..." he says. For some reason, that sends a knife through my heart. How could it when I admire everything Jacob stands for? "Get out." He says. That's a whole different boulder that nearly knocks me off my feet. He's never said that before. "I can't continue to try to save you when you don't see how wicked you are."

"I never asked you to save me," I say.

"Thenget out," he spits. A strong breeze passes over me and I land in my vehicle,back in Montana. My fists clench until I can't hold it in any longer. I let outa scream, slamming my fist into the dashboard, cracking the screen on thedashboard, causing my knuckles to bleed. I take a deep breath, then let it out.I reach under the steering wheel and open the hidden compartment, grabbing anEvolution kit. He thinks he understands? He doesn't understand anything.

A/N:

Ugh! 😫😫 when will she ever stop being the bad guy?!?!

Never 😈

Thank you for all your support!