Chapter 65

Amee

Jesse stands before me, that sly smirk on his face, his deep sapphire eyes focus on the tall stick that balances on his finger. I laugh as he nearly loses the balance and has to quickly step backwards in order to regain it.

"No, no, watch this," he says. Slowly, the stick starts to lift off his finger, staying perfectly straight. Then he moves his hands away from it, his palms open. "No hands." I chuckle, feeling the stick with my mind. "Oy! Don't touch it!" He shouts. I laugh.

"I didn't lay a finger on it!" I say. I barely tap it.

"'Ey! Bloody hell!" He is barely able to regain the balance, his hands twitching to reach out and save it from falling. I give it the shove the other way. It loses balance completely and he puts his hand up as a guard right before it whacks into his head. He gives me an irritated look, but I burst out laughing.

"You know, it isn't that impressive when there is nothing to risk," I say when I'm done laughing. I walk towards the medicine cabinet and grab a bottle of hard alcohol that's meant to dull pain. I toss it to him. "Try not to drop that," I say as he throws the bottle up, making it twist in the air before catching it again. I look at him to see him smiling at me.

"I don't remember having this much fun since... Before I arrived at the orphanage," he says, a sad look coming onto his face. He walks over to the desk and sets the bottle down. I step towards him and lean against the desk, our kiss coming to mind. It feels my stomach with butterflies and guilt at the same time.

"Have you talked to Clint yet?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"I can't bring myself to," he says, no longer smiling. He looks at me. "Before... I was proud to say that I could be there for all my mates. That I'd never betray any of them... And now I feel as if I've betrayed all of them." I swallow hard, glancing at his lips, and then his chest and biceps, then his hands.

"How?" I ask. He shrugs.

"Kissing you when I know Clint is head over heels for you. Knowing about Kate's ability when Johnny doesn't. Keeping secrets from Shad." He turns from me and starts examining my gun collection. I shrug, even though he can't see me.

"It was my fault that kiss happened," I say. He shakes his head.

"You were drunk. I was completely sober. I shouldn't have ever even sat next to you," he says. I step towards him and he looks at me. I touch the rock necklace that hangs against my chest.

"Aren't those the best kind? The forbidden kisses?" I tease. He chuckles, but his smile doesn't last long.

"Not when it's behind your best friend's back," he says. It's quiet for a minute. "I don't know exactly what Clint did the other night, but... it was stupid to try and justify kissing you by making myself believe he was on a date with Gracie."

"That's what it looked like to me," I say, shrugging my shoulders. He shakes his head.

"It wasn't. I know him better than that. Gracie cheated on him and I think she regrets it. I think she's trying to get him back and he's figuring a way to let her down as easy as he can." He stares at me for a long time. "Don't let her games get to you. She's just fighting for him... But you could kick her ass any day." I look away, my heart aching. He doesn't understand. I can't be with Clint. I've already been hurt too many times and I refuse to have Kevin's fate.

Before I can reply, the door opens and Kate enters, her eyes streaked with tears. Both Jesse and I stand and walk to her.

"Kate, what's wrong?" I ask. She wipes some of her tears away.