┃The bubble bursts

August 13th, 1983, Beverly Hills, California.

Eighteen-year-old Gladys Presley sat on the bed in the guest bedroom of her ex-stepmother, Priscilla, and looked at the two large suitcases lying on the fluffy white rug.

Gladys sighed and ran her fingers through her long, waist-length blonde hair. She bit her lip as she always did when she was stressed, and then a thought hit her, still pushing her back.

What now?

Gladys stayed with the only person who was completely neutral to her personal situation and who replaced her mother, literally.

Priscilla has been with her for as long as she can remember, and even after divorcing her father, they were close. Gladys was a frequent visitor to her stepmother and half-sister Lisa Marie's house as soon as she entered her teens. Here she found peace and a certain normality that she lacked in her father's house.

The family home ... Gladys closed her eyes and saw her beloved Graceland and herself again as a little girl rushing madly towards her beloved father, the great Elvis Presley. Crouched Elvis reaches out to her and Gladys falls into his arms with a joyful scream.

Elvis gets up and turns with her in the air. The girl's long braids cut through the air, and she revels in her father's presence and undivided attention.

She was then just four years old, a wonderful life that a child could dream of, parents and a new sister or brother on the way.

Those were carefree times, although apparently she had already asked questions then, but could not remember it. Illegal questions that will later become a conflict with her father.

Gladys looked down at her hands - soft and long fingers. These weren't Elvis's hands - she had inherited them from her mother, a biological mother she had no right to remember.

She was eleven when she accompanied her father to one of the Vegas shows. She was spending time with her father's girlfriend at the time, Linda Thompson, when they came across a woman in a hotel restaurant.

The woman was staring at Gladys strangely, and then Linda asked what she wanted. The woman said:

— I don't want to disturb you, but Gladys. You are so much like her.

The girl did not know what the stranger meant and Linda recommended:

— Ma'am, please don't upset this child. If you don't go then ...

— I don't want to cause confusion — The woman interrupted her. — But she has a right to know. Your mom, Patricia Lange, loved you very much.

Linda's eyes widened and the stranger pulled something out of her pocket and placed it on the table. Linda got up and hissed:

— Get out!

Gladys took advantage of the situation and snapped up the photo before Linda did. She saw a beautiful blonde who was smiling radiantly. Gladys stared at the woman in the photo, and the stranger was gone.