┃ Here is normality, part one

August 15th, 1983.

9 am.

Gladys put on a light white robe and walked over to a large mirror hanging on the wall. She pushed her long blonde hair back and smiled at her reflection.

She liked her stepmother's house - there was peace and cordiality here. There was also a warm atmosphere in Graceland, but recent events made her temporarily distant from this place.

Elvis had hurt her emotionally, and she needed time to think things over.

Gladys put on her slippers and left the room. She was walking down the hall when Sweet Pea, Cilla's poodle, ran up to her.

—Hey, sweetie.— Gladys crouched down and stroked the dog as it jumped on her and rolled over onto her back. Gladys laughed as Sweet Pea started licking her face. Then she heard someone's quick footsteps and heard Lisa Marie's voice:

— You're up already!

Gladys got to her feet and looked at her stepsister. Lisa Marie was smiling broadly at her - she was already 15 and quite tall for her age. She walked over to Gladys and hugged her.

— You don't even know what a luxury it is now to have you under one roof every day  — Lisa said cheerfully. — The periods when you came to us on vacation or for a few days in the winter ... it was too short, far too short . Now you will stay longer.

Gladys was still smiling and hugging her, pleasantly surprised by Lisa's expectations. But she still didn't know how much she could stay here. She was legally grown up, but still financially dependent on Elvis. Besides, if she left her stepmother's house, where would she stay? The only way out was either Frances' parents' house or Dylan's parents' house. But that probably wouldn't be long, because Elvis would come for Gladys.

The girl had some savings with her, but that would have been enough for a few days in California.

—I'm also glad we can spend some time together — Gladys looked her sister straight in the eye. —Though you're supposed to be coming to Memphis soon anyway.

—We'll be back together — Lisa winked at her. —Dad will be pleased.

— Sugar — Gladys grew serious.— I can't go back there yet. I had an argument with our father.

— Why? — Lisa raised an eyebrow. — Is it because of your boyfriend?

— It's a lot of things — Gladys said. — Dad can be difficult, you know that.

—Yes — Lisa nodded. —But it'll be a few days and he'll do it. We'll go to Graceland afterward and have a great time. And then we'll come back here. Because you guess you'll live here for now, right?

—I don't know — Gladys admitted, and then saw the slight disappointment in her sister's eyes. — It all depends on the parents.

—Mom will agree — Lisa's answer was decisive. — Besides, dad can't take you by force, you're an adult, right? So take a break from Memphis and experience life in Beverly Hills. Unfortunately, I will go to school, but we will see each other later. You help me with my lessons, and in the evenings we can watch movies and eat popcorn. It will be like it used to be, only more often.

—We'll see.— Gladys didn't want to give her unnecessary hope. — Glad you want it that way, Yisa.

—Very — Lisa sighed. —You know what it's like to have a sister for a while? I have only you.

Gladys hugged her and kissed her on the head.

—And I have my sweet little Yisa — she whispered. —You will always be very important to me.