┃Are you lonesome tonight?, part one

August 16th, 1984.

Gladys sat on the bed in Cilla's safest motel, staring at her two suitcases on the floor.

Cilla sat next to her and hugged her.

— You are not alone — she whispered and kissed the girl on the forehead. — If you need a conversation or a meeting, just call me. I am here for you, no matter what your father thinks or does.

—He's mean — Gladys hissed. — Couldn't he let it go, was that a lot for him? He could have focused on those goddamn gigs or projects or whatever he is doing right now! But no, he had to focus on me ' and in a way to torment me!

—He's difficult and you have to be patient with him — Cilla sighed. —But don't think about him now. I paid for your month's stay here, Tom and Jerry will be at the motel twice a day to see if you're alright. I will call you everyday, my love.

—Thanks for everything — Gladys smiled at her. — I can do it, the most important thing is that I'm slowly cutting off the tentacles of great Elvis.

— He's overprotective, that's why ...

Oh, come on — Gladys looked at her irritably. —He's always in charge, you know that. Everyone is at his fingertips, they are used to it. When someone refuses the King, he becomes toxic. It's true, Cilla. You can love wisely, but my father can't.

Cilla was silent when Gladys got up and said:

— I won't stop you, Lisa is waiting for you. I'll call you tonight.

—Okay — Cilla looked at her. —You can always come back to me.

—And risk letting my father not support Lisa?— Gladys raised an eyebrow. — No way.

—We could handle it — Cilla whispered. —All three.

—It's beautiful that you want it, but I won't put you in this position — Gladys replied. —I love you and Yis, and I won't give Elvis satisfaction.

Cilla pursed her lips as Gladys simply called her father Elvis. Cilla didn't pay attention to it, just put on her sunglasses and said:

— Waiting for your call, darling.

As she got up and hugged her stepdaughter, she said goodbye and closed the door quietly behind her. Gladys immediately turned the key on the door and took a deep breath as she took it out.

For the first time, she felt so ... lonely and insecure. She had the support of Cilla, Dylan's sister and boyfriend, but it was different.

She tried to console herself that everything would be fine, but the vision of starting on her own terrified her a little. But she preferred it to returning to Graceland and seeing Elvis triumphant.

I won't give it to him. I will not sit idly by, today I will try to find something.

Gladys thought of the mall she was at yesterday. They should have some jobs and the rest of the matter is to be discussed. Maybe she can hide her origin and work under a false name.

Gladys smiled at the occasion - it would be fun to be someone other than Elvis's daughter for a moment. Because that's what she was known for - to be the daughter of Elvis Presley.

As if her own self wasn't there.

Gladys looked at the suitcases, deciding she'd better unpack. Then he can take a taxi and drive to the mall.

When Gladys unpacked, she decided to wear an elegant dress - she chose one black, let her hair down, and put on black sunglasses. Then she took her purse and key and sighed deeply.