┃ Neverland, part two

Minnie looked at Patti and suddenly moved away.

— No, Jo died in a fall down the stairs. What are you saying, child ...

— That's a lie, Minnie. Jo died, but I didn't want to do it ... She tried to stop me, and I wanted to get out of this hell. It's all because of Elvis ...

—No — Minnie waved her hands nervously. — It's impossible, it's already crazy ...

— It happened! — Patti quickly bared her arm where he had shot her once. — You see? It's the bullet scar when Elvis shot me. He paid for the operation so that it would not be visible.

— Stop! — Minnie covered her ears with her hands. — He may be violent, but he's not a killer!

Then the door opened and the women saw Elvis. Patti turned pale and Minnie pointed to her grandson and said:

—Elvis, tell me she didn't kill Jo! That you didn't do all of this!

—Grandma — Elvis said fondly and gave Patti a murderous look. —Patti has postpartum depression and unfortunately says terrible things. She also mutilates herself ...

— You're the one talking nonsense — Patti shook her head, and Elvis walked over to Minnie and gave her a gentle hug. The old woman was shaken when her grandson reassured her and led her out of the room.

Patti knew now she would have to pay for what she had done. She quickly went to the other room and, with trembling hands, took the key from the keyhole in the door. Unfortunately, the key fell from her hands onto the carpet, and then someone burst into the living room, and she turned frightened.

Elvis closed the door quietly, piercing her with a glare.

—  It was unwise to say such things to my grandmother — he began in a dangerously low tone. — Nick must have given her strong sedatives that are bad for her heart. Do you get it?

Patti stood up with the key in her hand and backed away to the corner of the room. Elvis walked towards her and she hid her hand behind her back.

— You could have had her heart attack — he hissed, looking at his wife. — Do you care about my grandma's health and life?

— And you? — she asked, looking into his eyes defiantly. — Do you care about my health? And my life?

His body suddenly relaxed. He sighed and looked tired. He touched a finger to her lip and she looked away.

Then he withdrew his hand and left the room without a word. Patti stood in the corner and then slumped slowly to the floor. She hid her face in her hands and cried loudly.

She sat there for a long time - until she remembered her daughter. Wiping her cheeks, she left the room and started down the hall, past staff and Memphis Mafia members. She looked scary with puffy eyes, a bleeding lip, and a stained dress.

Nobody reacted, they didn't ask if she needed help. For most, she was already a loser whose life was about to end at any moment on the King's whim.

As she entered her daughter's room, she saw that the rocking chair she usually sat in had been taken by Elvis. He sat there and fed the baby milk from the bottle.

Little Gladys drank greedily and Elvis sang softly to her. He didn't turn as Patti stepped inside. He was still singing softly and so on until Gladys drank the milk.

Then Elvis spoke to her affectionately and began to walk around the room with her to make the baby grunt.

When that happened, Elvis held Gladys in his arms, completely ignoring Patti as if she wasn't there. But at last he said coldly: