The Wedding

"I've never laid my eyes on someone more alluring or captivating than you right in this very moment, my love," Erik spoke softly, sweeping a golden strand from Christine's temple that had escaped the crown of flowers she adorned

"And you, my sweet Erik, there's none so winsome as you, my darling," she beamed, as she adjusted his boutonnière. His long black hair was combed back and seemed to have been trimmed to touch the nape of his neck. She was still adjusting to the new composition of his face. The right side had transformed, on its surface, from what was once a wine stained crescent birthmark and scarred tissue, to smooth ivory skin. His cleft palate was the only thing that was hardly recognizable through all the cosmetics. She couldn't deny that she was happy to see his face in entirety on a day like this. She was glad they could be together in public without the scrutiny of others.

They stood in a small country chapel on the outskirts of Versailles, awaiting the priest and other members of the clergy who were meant to be their witnesses before God.

Erik took no shortcuts in preparation for their ceremony. He spent all Sunday afternoon, after meeting with Madame Giry, shopping for new clothing and goods, as well as purchasing their wedding attire. He would not stand for anything less than eloquent and sophisticated. Christine was wearing the latest design of wedding dress, coming from a very prestigious bridal shop in France. It was charming with a long white bodice, sheer sleeves, white gloves, and a large skirt with flowers attached. He choose a very fashionable black suit with a metallic  floral printed vest and brown silk tie for himself.

The priest entered the chapel with his fellow men following in two lines behind him. He was prepared with his Bible as he stood behind a large podium.
Because there were no guests for Priest Francis to greet he asked the couple if they would like to share a few words with one another before the nuptial vows.

"Christine Odessa Daae, since the moment our friendship blossomed from endearment to love for one another, I was afraid." Christine's brows furrowed in confusion. "I was afraid of what our love would have to endure. All the plunges of hardship it would take, and fight to see another day. I was worried I had something fragile to defend, but Christine, our love it isn't fragile, and you, you are certainly not made of porcelain or glass, you my darling, are made of steel and diamond, so fierce and undeniably resistant to any weather imaginable." Christine smiled, grateful for her husbands respect and the light he viewed her in.

"Erik..." she realized she didn't know his middle name, as she'd just learned his first name a year ago.

"Nathaniel."Christine smiled.

"Erik Nathaniel Destler, I never knew love could be such an enthralling adventure. You came into my life when I was young. You were everything I didn't know that I needed. You saved me from drowning in anguish after the passing of my beloved father. You comforted me and kept me distracted by helping harness my voice. You knew how much I loved Papa and designed this bracelet with his initials on the inside so he could be here with us today," she said looking down at the platinum bracelet he had gifted her after proposing. "You are so good to me and I wish to spend my life returning the favor. I love you, Erik, and this day, and us...this is meant to be." Erik grinned, and they both looked to the priest.

"Erik and Christine, you have just made beautiful speeches in honor of your love for one another, and now it is time to dedicate yourselves to each other in holy matrimony. If you will repeat the following  vows."

"I,Erik," Father Francis started.

"I, Erik," he repeated after, "....take you, Christine, ...to be my lawfully wedded wife,... to have and to hold, ...from this day forward, ...for better, for worse, ....for richer,... for poorer,...in sickness and in health,... until death do us part." His eyes glistened as he looked into her sweet glowing face.

"I, Christine," Father Francis began.

"I Christine," she repeated, "....take you, Erik,...to be my lawfully wedded husband,...to have and to hold,...from this day forward,... for better, for worse,...for richer,...for poorer,...in sickness and in health,...until death do us part." She cried, the tears spilling onto her warm cheeks expressions of her happiness that couldn't be kept inside.

Father Francis handed Erik the blue sapphire and diamond oval ring.

"Please repeat after me, Erik. With this ring I thee wed."

"With this ring I thee wed." A tremor broke over him and he sniffled quietly, hot tears rushing from his eyes, registering that in just a few moments the woman in front of him would be his partner for life. He worked through the tears, slipping the ring onto her finger. She began sobbing harder but stepped closer to him, gently patting the wet areas of his cheeks with the back of her fingers, ensuring it would not ruin the cosmetic application.

"And now, Christine if you will, please repeat after me. With this ring I thee wed."

"With this ring I thee Wed," she repeated, moving the silver band over his finger. They both looked at the Father Francis, excitedly awaiting his next sentence.

"You may kiss your bride," he said turning to Erik.

"Gladly," Erik smiled, cupping her face before he dwelled in the tenderness of their first kiss as husband and wife.

"You have declared your consent before the Church. May the Lord in his goodness strengthen your consent and fill you both with his blessings. What God has joined, men must not divide. Amen."

"Amen," they said.