Unearthing The Truth

The words should have come out instantly

The words should have come out instantly. I do. I will. I will marry you, but they didn't. It wasn't fair to him but how could she decide right now? The opera was in turmoil, her career was fading as quickly as it had come, and marrying Erik would only further complicate things. Although she knew in her heart of hearts he was it: the one that she would ultimately love for the rest of her life.

She stood completely still, looking down at her Erik. His solemn eyes said it all: I knew it, I knew she could never love me. This was a foolish endeavor. But something happened and his face turned from unsure to hopeful. Christine took the gorgeous ring from his fingers and slipped it on to hers. His eyes lit up with an excitement she had rarely seen in them.

He rose quickly to his feet and didn't hesitate to celebrate. He swept her into his long arms and twirled her around. Uncontrollable laughter escaped her lungs. It was the first time she had cause to laugh after all of the terrible things that had been thrown at her as of late and it was all because she was making Erik happy. And of course herself too, but Erik's happiness was much more important to her than her own.

Erik gently let her go after spinning and kissing her plump mouth. He couldn't believe this was happening. A beautiful goddess of a woman loved him and somehow, albeit a mystery, felt attracted enough to him to accept his hand in marriage.

He could see their future together rushing a thousand miles in front of him.

Christine in a luxurious robe looking out the large window of their home, a cup of steaming coffee in her hand, she notices he is awake and sets the mug on the bedside table and gracefully leans over the bed to kiss him. He doesn't wear a mask anymore. He trusts the vow she made to him on their wedding day. She told him she would love him for who he was; all of his many flaws included.

She lays down next to him in their enormous bed and begins to kiss him when a tiny girl with blonde hair not older than two rushes in. He scoops the small, beautiful, child in his arms and the three of them lay together in the bed. The young girl is cuddled between her parents. He is whole.

He was snapped out of the fantasy when Christine touched his shoulder. "Erik, is something wrong?"

"No, my dear, not at all. Actually, it's the very opposite in fact. Everything is wonderful." Christine reached up to touch his face and slipped off his mask. She caressed his cheek and fell into his inviting arms.

"Indeed. I'm happy Erik, happier than you could ever know." Erik kissed the top of her head.

Then it hit her like ton of bricks. She was engaged to the notorious opera ghost. How was she to explain the dazzling ring on her finger? And what would she say when someone asked? "Erik," she said pulling away quickly, "I've just considered a problem we might encounter with our engagement. We must keep this secret, for no one should know that I am spoken for, as you are a wanted man as of now."