Love Is Blind

October 19,1875

October 19,1875

Bright light filtered in through Christine's squinted eyes. She immediately noticed something on top of the pillow beside her: a single red rose with a black ribbon and note attached. Christine carefully grabbed the thorned stem and detached a sizable letter from its place.

Christine,
A man, angelic or mortal, only has a few purposes in life: to learn who he is, to provide and protect, and to find a woman worth living for. I can not begin to explain what you have done to me. My body is weak at the very thought of you and my heart reels with eternal love. You have given me a gift I can never repay, for while traveling upon this earth I have been cursed and despised but, yet, you have truly cared. You accepted my ugliness and you challenged the way I have previously been received. I thank you. Christine, if I were to die today, what you gave me last night would be enough for me. I pledge to you that until you draw your final breath I shall be completely devoted to you; whatever you want you may needn't but only ask.

With Abiding Love,
Erik

Christine read the note over and over again, internalizing every crisp letter and syllable he had written in feathered caligraphy. With Abiding Love, Erik. That name fitted him so perfectly, he was indeed an honorable ruler as the origin of the name suggested. He ruled over her heart, her mind, and her body. When he was in the same room as her all rationality abandoned her. Raoul was the sensibility that she found absolutely mind-numbing and uninspiring. Erik, he was soul, he was the music that lifted her high above all of her problems, she knew he was dangerous but he was also fragile and human in a way.

Eight hours from now Christine would be facing the public eye again after a full recovery. The swelling and bruising on her neck had subsided and by Meg's tender care, using herbal ointments to treat her head wound, she was once again stable and Madame Giry would shortly be moving back into her suite and Christine and Meg would reside downstairs again.

Erik and Raoul had visited frequently during the month proceeding the incident. After Christine and Erik's chaste affair, Erik abstained from laying beside Christine. His intense sexual appetite for her was too much for him to bear, so most nights he settled for the chase that was moved to the opposite side of the room from the bed. He would sing her sweet lullabies from around the world. Erik's seamless modulation and hauntingly beautiful tone hypnotized her. Receiving his personal attention and affection was better than she had imagined it would be all those years ago. She never wanted him to leave, in fact, she would beg him to stay with deadly kisses that threatened her notoriety.

"Erik, come to me." He smiled that lovely crescent moon smile that she was getting to know better each passing night. Most of his mouth would remain closed while the left corner curved curled up, slightly exposing his shiny teeth. His eyes acknowledged her in a way that she felt completely exposed. He stared closely and paid attention to every detail of her, all of her imperfections included.