There Was A Man

~ba-boom, ba-Boom, Ba-Boom, BA-BOOM!

The bedroom door was cracked open and a sconce was lit in the hallway.

Her bare feet touched the cold stone floor. Shivers spiraled down her back and produced goosebumps across her entire body. She constantly looked back at her family until she allowed herself to be free of her uncertainty and focus on the light ahead.

When she slipped through the crack of the door all that she saw was the dingy hallway and pitch darkness further down.

"Keep going," a familiar voice guided.

Christine jumped at the sudden noise.

She took a deep breath and proceeded. When she reached the end of the first hallway a sconce flickered brightly suddenly illuminating the wall in front of the grand staircase a floor below her. She walked down the West entry stairs until she reached it.

At the bottom of the endless stairs, her guardian angel stood like a statue visible by the glow from gas-lit chandeliers above. He wore black trousers, a maroon vest, purple ascot, white collar, black tailcoat, and leather gloves. The most notable of all was the white half mask that covered the right side of his face and part of his mouth.

Despite her intense desire to meet her guardian, her anxiety was so overwhelming she had the sudden instinct to retreat.

Christine's nightgown chased behind her in the wind that was being produced from running frantically back up the West wing stairs.

Her heart stopped. The Angel of Music had materialized in front of her.

He frowned clearly upset that Christine was frightened by him. His porcelain blue eyes pleaded with her, but her eyes were only able to maintain their shocked state. She exhaled in fear and traveled back down the staircase hoping he would vanish somehow.

To her dismay, he didn't. He was standing again at the end of the stairway. This time he did not acknowledge her but instead, he placed a single rose on the bottom step and suddenly disappeared into a cloud of smoke.

Christine picked the velvety red rose up after she was sure her angel was gone. On the stem, there was a black ribbon and right below the sepals of the rose twine was tied around with a note the size of a price tag.

Christine, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. A rose for a beauty like you.

 A rose for a beauty like you