The War

It was February of 1870 and construction of the Palais Garnier had paused for the year due to the Franco-Prussian war led by Napoleon III

It was February of 1870 and construction of the Palais Garnier had paused for the year due to the Franco-Prussian war led by Napoleon III. Boarding rooms like the one Christine lived in were being filled with wounded soldiers and medical equipment. Other rooms were used as food storage. The ballet girls were instructed to stay home with their parents and keep stretching every morning unless prevented otherwise. Christine was moved into the slightly more decorated space Madame Giry and Meg stayed in upstairs in the west wing.

Madame Giry insisted that Meg keep up her ballet training, while she allowed Christine the privilege of freely studying her music because she had noticed an incredible change in Christine's singing voice and her attitude towards the opera. Therefore, the angel of music was able to coach Christine during the day rather than exclusively at night.

One day, about a month after the war began, Christine wondered into the stage wings and began walking towards her favorite place. The chorus dressing room, located close to the very back of the theatre. As soon as she stepped into the room, she could feel his presence with her. She looked around her waiting for her teacher to speak. The room was an encompassing maroon with only a few pieces of cheap wooden furniture, a full-length mirror at the longest end of the room, and a piano to the left side of the door, along with the wall. Christine shut the door behind her and sat on the piano bench. She fiddled with the pockets underneath her petticoat. She was often too nervous to summon the angel herself, but she missed hearing his voice and sharing his ominous company so she decided to speak up.

"Mister?" Christine called, looking all around the room.

"Yes, Christine. I am here with you," his gentle voice echoed back.

"Good morning monsieur."

"Good morning mademoiselle."

A smile appeared across the fifteen-year-old girls face. Her heavenly guardian was not only a constant reminder of her father's eternal love for her, but he also served the purpose of being her only true friend other than of course her dearest Meg. The Angel of Music, however understood her as no other did. Even Meg couldn't relate to Christine's earnest passion for music, fine art, and literature. Most of the girls at the opera resented their time being educated, but Christine came from a small town in Sweden where most young girls her age, would never have the opportunity in their lifetime to achieve a proper education as she had. They would only ever know to farm and being a housewife. She was grateful she had the ability to do something much greater with her future and make her father proud.

"Sir Mistro?"

"Yes?"

"Will, I ever see you?"

"Why of course child, remember the time will come when I have successfully taught you all I can, and you will then succeed your father in talent and grace. Then, and only then, will I present myself to you."

"What do you look like in your human form?" Christine asked, hoping she would not offend or irritate the angel.

"When you see me for the first time I will be in disguise."

"Disguise?"

"Yes, for others can interact with me in my flesh and I will be visible to them as well. So, I must not let anyone know what I am. If I dress plainly someone will suspect, for my face glows with a radiance unfamiliar to humans. Now... Christine... let's begin your warmups for your aria."

"Yes, my angel, of course."

"From the beginning then please."

Christine was having a hard time concentrating. She could only keep thinking about the mystery of her otherworldly teacher. She daydreamed about the day they would meet in person.

If only it could be now.