The Death of a Conspiracy

"What is going on with you Christine? I've been looking for you everywhere," Meg demanded

"Meg. Please, you wouldn't understand."

"The only thing I do not understand is why, when I was looking for you today, you were nowhere to be found. You just showed up in our room in time for dinner, with no explanation of why you were gone so long. It just makes no sense, you have been acting so odd lately."

Christine kept quiet not wanting to talk about her day. It had been traumatizing and nightmarish. Having Meg scrutinize her was the last thing she needed. It was like she could never catch a break with her.

"Meg, why don't you mind your own buisness."

Meg froze, stunned by Christine's uncalled for attitude. She wasn't interrogating her to pry into her personal business, she was concerned for her only friend and rightfully so. If her suspicions were affirmed, Christine was in grave danger.

"Christine," Meg warned with her gray eyes. She grabbed her shoulder from turning away from her, hoping she would free herself from her guarded facade if she had someone begging her for the truth.

Christine resisted and started walking out into the hallway towards the grand staircase. Meg was upseting her. She had not a clue about the burdens she carried, she tried to act as if she did but in reality she was completly  ignorant, although, she felt guilt punching her in the stomach as she continued walking away.

She had been walking and running away from everything that frightened her lately: her guardian's companionship, the closure of her father's death, and her best friend who wanted nothing more than to keep her accountable and safe. She just wished everything and everyone would vanish. Even him. It would be better for her, she could live in peace with out worry, yet somehow she sensed it would never end.

Meg caught her friend on the middle level of the side staircase and grabbed her hands making her sit down on the marble steps with her.

Christine broke, shattered as the action caused her to stop. It was the only time. She had tried for the past several months to keep everything bottled but secrets were only meant to be kept for so long until they became someone else's. Hot burning tears fell down her face and her nose ran along with them. Her weeping carried through out the towering space like a rainstorm with harsh moaning winds. Meg forced Christine's head to her shoulder in an encompassing embrace. She would not let go until she felt Christine move. She didn't for a very long time, and then after wiping her face with a handkerchief from her pocket, she looked up to see Meg's face wet with empathy for her. She let go of her then.

Meg wiped her eyes and took a minute to breathe before asking,
"Now tell me, Christine, what is truly going on with you."

"I can't say... I promised."

"Promised whom?"

"Someone who is looking after me," Christine whispered, figuring he was listening through his omnipresent sprit.

Meg grew alarmed. She was right! There was a man coaching Christine, a strange, mysterious, and potentially dangerous man.

"Christine," Meg whispered back.

"What is it, Meg?"

"I know."

"You know what, Meg?" Christine asked fiercely, beginning to become defensive again.

"I know about h..."

"Shh," Christine interrupted. She looked around frantically hoping her Angel was not close.

"Come with me we will talk somewhere else."

"Okay," Meg agreed.