The Calm Before the Storm

Dominique's POV -

"You shouldn't have to do this," I say to my father

He looks at me and my eyes soften, " It wasn't your fault, sweetheart"

My heart clenches at the small show of affection.

"Yes, It is. And you know it."

"I shouldn't have let your mother convince me to make Julian marry that girl."

"Mother... " I sigh and sit down in one of the chairs in front of my father's desk, "The marriage was a good idea. The North is powerful and could easily claim autonomy whenever they wanted so we've always been wary of them. Marriage between us would keep us safe."

"Did you want to marry her?" My Father asks bluntly

"W-what" I chuckle and start playing with my rings

"I wouldn't oppose. I thought that was why you were angry." I clear my throat

"No. She was just a friend. " I insist

"Oh, well, we should talk about your marriage before your mother gets involved. I don't want you to marry anyone you don't want to but Nik..."

"I know," I say and straighten up my back, " If I have to get married, I will."

"Your brother will be getting married soon. To the princess of the North or not. You should be careful," He stares at me

"My brother shouldn't feel cautious of me."

"Your brother loves you," I catch the meaning behind those words.

If there's anyone I should watch out for, It would be my mother. Her priority is and always will be Julian. Specifically, that Julian inherits the crown to Rodask.

I sigh and decide to change the topic, "Will you be sending them a letter to request a meeting?"

"No, I am preparing for war. This is something they chose. I will not 'beg' them to not attack us. If they want a war I'll give them one"

"You sound like a child. We're gonna take a huge loss even if we end up winning. I loved your little speech and all but If there's an option to stop the war then we should take it."

"They would invade us anyway, The engagement annulment was just their excuse."

"They will compromise. Send me and I'll convince them. You know just as well as I do that If we go to war, we will have a pile of dead bodies under us."

Under me.

Because of me.

"Fine, " He says shaking his head and taking out paper and pen. He writes a quick letter and rings the bell he has on his desk.

My father's assistant comes in and grabs the letter, bows to both of us, and scurries off.

"Julian, you, and Lucio will be coming with me. Wyatt will take care of things here while we are gone. I was also thinking of bringing Michel."

"Why would you want to bring the brat," I say, rolling my eyes.

"He wants to help. It'll be good for him."

"Alright, I guess so. I'll tell him." He nods

"I'll be leaving now," I say and stand up, a nod to my father, and leave the room.

I walk to Michel's room and he is training with a combat practice dummy I bought for him once.

"Hey Brat," I say and lay down on his bed, contemplating taking a nap.