Chapter 19

I didn't see Roberto after that day. He had stopped coming to my lessons...

Was it because of what I had said? How he was neglecting his responsibility as Crown Prince?

"Ugh," I looked up from my history book and looked out of the library's window. "I was such a hypocritical jerk."

"Yeah, no kidding." My brother replied behind me.

I jumped in my seat, startled and not expecting anyone to answer me.

"Do you even know what I'm even talking about?" I questioned as he sat down next to me.

"Maybe," He sat back in his seat. "What exactly are you talking about? I wouldn't want to assume that we're on the same page here."

"You so don't know what I'm talking about," I shook my head and laughed dryly.

"Do I," He raised an eyebrow.

"No, you don't." I snapped.

Joshua raised his eyes, intrigued at my sudden irritation.

"I'm guessing," He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "that it has to do with Roberto. Am I correct."

"Does it matter?" I went back to my history book.

"Not really, but it would explain why he stopped visiting you so suddenly. Did you say something to make him flee back to his country? And if so, what did you say?"

"I don't want to talk about." I said firmly.

I really don't, I thought.

"By the way you're acting, you probably hurt his ego."

"Can you just drop it?"

"Maybe, if you tell me what it is that you had said."

I slammed my history book shut with such force that my brother jumped, startled by the sound.

"If you want to know what I told him, then ask him yourself." I seethed, teary-eyed.

"Hey," My brother was suddenly concerned when my eyes began to water. "What happened?" He added when I was about to stand up and walk out of the library.

"I said I don't want to talk about it." I looked out the window again.

For a moment, we sat in silence. From the corner of my eye, I could see that my brother was studying me. Waiting to ask me what happened again, but there was no way that I was going to tell him what happened.

That'd hurt my ego now.

However, my brother doe have a right to know...

I groaned.

The hell with my ego, I thought as I looked back at my brother. He gave me an expectant look.

"I..." I quickly looked back at the window. "I told Roberto that he was neglecting his responsibilities by him attending my lessons with me."

We sat in another moment of silence before my brother said anything.

"You honestly thought that's why he was attending your lessons with you?" My brother laughed.

I looked at my brother again.

"What do you mean?"

He gave me a knowing smile.

"You're old enough now to know what I mean." He winked at me.

My eyes widened.

"No," I shook my head, "you don't mean they he--"

"Yes, I do." He stood up from his seat. "He likes you, Katerina. That's why he was here, attending your lessons with you. I can't believe that you thought that he was being his irresponsible self."

"What was I supposed to think?"

My brother sighed. "Katerina, Roberto's irresponsible enough to neglect most of his responsibilities. Not all of them. He's not that irresponsible."

I pursed my lips together.

Well, I screwed up.

"But how was I supposed to know that he liked me?" I asked myself once my brother left the library.