Chapter 13

Author's Note:

Alrighty! Here is Chapter 13. I'm sorry that it took me a week to write and finish this chapter! Also, I'm sorry not sorry that I left Chapter 12 at a cliffhanger. I just love cliffhangers, well when I write them at least.

It's Thanksgiving where I live. So, HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I'm thankful for a lot of things this year. Are you?

See you in the next chapter, my lovelies!

P.S. Don't forget to comment, vote & follow me for automatic notifications! :)

~~~
Chapter 13

I was still holding my breath as I waited for my parents to speak.

By the way my father was looking at me, he or my mother didn't have to say a word to me. It was obvious that they were disappointed in me when I decided to run away five years ago.

Their disappointment was written all over their faces, especially my fathers. And that made this whole ordeal a lot awkward than it should have been.

Joshua is so going to get it later, I thought as I glanced at my brother for a split second.

I waited a few more seconds, to see if any of my parents would say anything, begin a dreaded conversation that we eventually would have.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

6, 7, 8, 9, 10...

20...

40...

60...

Sixty seconds, a minute, had gone by while waiting for my parents to say anything.

Were they seriously going to wait for me to say something? To start up the conversation, that I knew would lead into an argument, a terrible argument.

Ugh, the hell with it, I thought as I let out a sigh. But what should I talk about though?

As I wracked my brain, figuring what to say, all I do is blurt out, "So, how have you guys been?" I wanted to kick myself in the back of the head.

Obviously, I shouldn't have started out with that.

Even Joshua agreed with my internal thoughts, he had a pained look on his face.

For my father, he looked even more pissed. My mother, on the other hand, when she looked somewhat sympathetic, if not a little hurt.

What, should have I said that I was sorry for running away? That I was sorry for "disgracing" the family? Yeah, like I would apologize. It took a lot out of me to apologize to Joshua for teasing him about his breakfast delicacy choice.

So, apologizing to my parents for running away won't be as easy-- for me anyway.

Another thirty seconds passed until my father said something in response to my mischoice of a question.

"How have we been?" He scoffed. "Oh, I don't know, Katerina, we've been peachy. Thanks for asking. How have you been?"

Sarcasm was practically dripping off of his every word. I knew better than to answer him back, but by the way that my father was looking at me. I didn't really have a choice in the matter.

"Oh," I laughed nervously. "Uh-- good, I guess."

My father's eyes were stormy by this point.

"Good," He repeated. "So, the real world treated you all right?"

I didn't say anything. Of course, the real world didn't treat me alright. Come on, it was the real world we were talking about here.

However, I also knew better as to not be honest with my father. He had begun some kind of silent game, a game that I shall not lose to.