Chapter 23

Having tea with Roberto was awkward. Extremely awkward. I almost felt bad for Joshua— that he could actually feel the awkward air between Roberto and I.

That whoever entered the gardens could actually feel the awkward air between Roberto and I.

Joshua looked from me then to Roberto and back to me again.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom," He said as he stood up from his seat at the round table.

At first, I didn't want him to leave. Like, really? Was he actually going to leave me with this awkwardness?

Then I knew what he was doing. He was letting me have some time alone with Roberto, knowing very well that I wouldn't have any alone time with him— other than this.

"So..." I traced the rim of my tea cup with my index finger. "How have you been?"

For a while, all I got was silence.

Roberto sighed, "Busy." Was all he said at first. "Who knew actually doing work would be so time consuming," He added.

I couldn't help but laugh.

"What," He demanded, smiling then.

"Nothing, it's just—" I stopped myself. I didn't want to say anything I knew that I would regret later.

However, Roberto raised an eyebrow, intrigued at what I wanted to say next.

"It's just funny that you finally realize actually doing your responsibilities— on a daily basis— is time consuming." But that's what being a Royal was all about, but no one ever truly realizes it.

Roberto smirked.

"Oh, Katerina, I know that. Why do you think I never did my work daily? That I've always neglected it."

I pursed my lips together, to stop myself from frowning.

"I guess I deserved that," I muttered under my breath. "If you knew that, then why did you begin to do your responsibility on a daily basis?"

He leaned forward, staring into my violet eyes as I stared into his brown eyes.

"To show that I don't neglect my responsibilities as Crown Prince," He said simply.

For a while, I didn't say anything. No one did.

When will Joshua come back? I thought as I stared into my cup of tea.

I took a sip. The tea was cold by now.

"I'm sorry," I muttered as I felt my cheeks burn from apologizing.

Roberto didn't say anything, which brought irritation into my veins.

When I looked up, to most likely snap at him, he had a stupid grin on his face.

I raised an eyebrow, "Why are you smiling?" I demanded.

"You apologized," He said as he propped his elbow on the table and cupped his cheek in his hand, obviously still staring at me.

"And," I immediately looked down, flustered by his words.

He knew that I never apologized about anything.

Gosh, what is up with people being so surprised about me apologizing for things? I mean, just because I never apologized in the past doesn't mean that I wouldn't now—

"Katerina," Roberto brought me out of my thoughts. "Are you even listening to me?"

"N-No," I terribly admitted.

He sighed as he shook his head.

"Always daydreaming when it really matters."

"I wasn't daydreaming, I— I was thinking." I scowled.

Roberto chuckled. "Fair enough," He kept our eyes locked together. "As I was saying..." He paused for a few seconds. "I was just surprised that you would apologize. You never do. However, I should be the one who should apologize here. I made a huge fuss about you telling me not to neglect my responsibilities as Crown Prince— and I'm sorry for that. It's just your words hit home because I know. I know that I neglect my responsibilities. More than I should and I didn't need another person— other than Alberto— to tell me that I was."

I nodded.

"Well, you weren't wrong on one thing."

"About what, exactly?" He frowned in confusion.

"That I really wasn't the one to talk about neglecting their responsibilities." I said as I forced myself to look back down at my cup of tea. "So, you don't have to apologize, Roberto. I was in the wrong so..."

Roberto sighed. "All right. I take back my apology. It was all your fault—"

"Hey!" I laughed. "You can't just take back an apology!"

"But you said—" He began as he laughed, joining me.

"Never mind what I said," I cut him off as I took another sip of my now cold tea.

"All right, all right," Roberto gestured for Alberto to make fresh tea when he came in to check on us. "Why don't we just move past that and focus on right now, hmm?"

"O-Okay," I agreed as Alberto took my tea cup on its saucer.

"Good," He grinned. "Let's go to a Ball in Nobel Michel."

"Tonight?" I questioned.

He nodded.

I wanted to say yes, but was I even allowed to go to places other than Altaria?

"I don't know..."

"Don't know about what?" My brother prompted once he came back from who-knows-where.

"To a Ball in Nobel Michel," Roberto singed in a sing-song voice.

Joshua sat back down next to me.

"Is that what you don't know about?" My brother asked me.

"Well, I don't know if we can go there." I could feel myself blush insanely now.

Joshua laughed, "We can go."

"But father said—"

"He let you visit Altaria," He cut me off. "I'm sure going to Nobel Michel will be fine. Besides, what father doesn't know won't kill him."

"I-I guess," I pursed my lips together.

I just didn't want to get on his bad side again.

"Then it's settled!" Roberto said happily as Alberto brings fresh tea out with new tea cups.

Author's Note:

Hope you liked this chapter, my lovelies!

See you in the next one.