Chapter 12

That afternoon, my brother finally lectured me on my "little outing" into town.

Boy, was he harsh, but that's Joshua for you. Always following the rules and regulations like a good Crown Prince.

Honestly.

However, I knew that deep down-- way down-- that he was just worried about me. Hence the lecture.

"Can I go to my room now?" I asked when my brother stopped lecturing me once Jan came back with tea.

Joshua sighed.

"I don't know, can you?"

"Ugh," I groaned. "May I go to my room now?"

My brother smirked. "You may."

I glared at him as I made my way out of his office.

On the way to my room, I took a pit stop at the garden. After having my brother lecture me for-- oh, I don't know-- an hour and a half, fresh air was needed.

Badly.

I breathed in the nice cool air once in the gardens, and I felt...relieved?...somehow.

My brother left me alone after lecturing me. Probably out of pity. His reason of leaving me alone didn't matter. I was grateful for being left alone.

Although, him leaving me alone for the rest of the day was oddly suspicious.

~~~

The next day, I was woken up by someone shaking me.

I groaned and put my pillow over my head.

"Katerina!" I heard my brother hiss at me. "Katerina, get up!"

"Why?" I groaned as I tightened my grip on my pillow. "Is the Manor on fire?"

"It might as well be," He said as he wrenched my pillow out of my tight grip. "Mother and father are coming home today," He added once my pillow was off my head.

"What?!" I yelled, jolting up into a sitting position.

"Come on," He took me by the arm and led me to the bathroom, where a maid was waiting for me. "You have to get ready. They will be here in an hour or so."

"Wait," I looked my brother through wide eyes, "I'm going to see them? Today?!"

"Of course," He crossed his arms over his chest. "We can't hide you forever. Mother and father will find out that you're here anyway."

I whimpered as the maid helped me undress and into the bathtub.

My brother's face turned red and he quickly turned around.

"I'll-- uh-- I'll--" He scratched the back of his head. "I'll leave you to your bath."

Before I could say anything, he left and the maid began to wash my hair.

Seeing my brother turn red like that, I couldn't help but laugh.

I shook my head and snorted, laughing my head off.

After the quick bath, the maid helped me into a yellow vintage, knee-length dress, that had pink and purple flower designes embroidered on the skirt of the dress.

The maid had expertly curled my hair into wavy curls as I finally put on matching yellow, two inch high heels.

She nodded approvingly as she gave me a square jewelry box.

"What's this?" I asked as she gave me the box.

"A necklace," She bowed her head. "The necklace that you used to wear five years ago."

My hands froze over the lid.

"I thought I had put that back in the vault downstairs before I r-- left?"

"Prince Joshua went down earlier this morning to retrieve it for you," She explained.

I nodded stiffly as I finally lifted the lid, to reveal the dainty, elegant necklace pendant that I used to wear every single day five years ago.

Gently, I traced my finger over the tiny silver circle disk of the necklace pendant.

"I can't wear this," I said as I put the lid of the box back on and gave it back to the maid.

She smiled sympathetically. "His Royal Highness insists that you wear it."

The maid opened the box again and took the necklace pendant out.

"You have to wear it, Your Highness." She said as she gently stood behind me.

I closed my eyes before I nodded and lifted my hair up for her.

The maid looked at the necklace pendant once it was around my neck.

"It looks better on you than it being in a box, in the vault."

"Right," I touched the tiny circle disc with my index finger.

After that, Jan came in to escort me to see my parents.

"They're already here?" I questioned as I followed him to the audience chambers.

He nodded. "Five minutes ago, to be exact."

We stopped in front of the doors to the audience chambers.

"Do they know that I'm here?"

I could tell that Jan wanted to shake his head, but he nodded instead.

"Are they-- Are they mad? That I ran away from home for five years and then just came back?"

"You will have to ask them, Princess." He gave me a gentle, sympathetic smile. "Those are the questions that you should ask them."

I pursed my lips together in a tight line.

Jan opened the doors for me.

"Here goes nothing," I whispered before I entered the audience chambers.

There, sitting on the thrones, were my father and mother-- the King and Queen of Dres Van-- with my brother standing off to the side, next to my father.

I held in a breath as my parents assessed my reappearance.

Author's Note:

Alrighty, so I'm going to stop right there.

I figured I should write in Katerina and Joshua's parents sooner than later.

Hoped that you liked this chapter!

Until next time, my lovelies!

Don't forget to vote, comment & follow for automated notifications! :)