Chapter 31

Katerina's POV:

I laid on my bed in the dark, under the moon light, when another set of rapid knocks came at the bedroom door.

"Go away," I yelled meekly as I put the pillow over my head.

Tears were still streaming down my face, and it had been basically the whole entire day since I've stayed in my guest bedroom.

You could say that I was overreacting, but in my defense-- I wasn't.

A harem.

That's what the King had said to Roberto.

Roberto would be given a harem-- and a party-- to choose his wife on his twenty-fifth birthday.

He doesn't even get a chance at dating someone, choosing someone for himself.

And to top it all off, the King doesn't even like me.

I was the runaway Princess of Dres Van, and that's all I'll ever be to everyone in the Monarchy.

To everyone in general.

"Katerina, open this door right now." My brother said on the other side of the bedroom door.

I hesitated.

Joshua was practically banging on the door now.

I groaned.

"Can't I just be in peace?" I yelled before I opened the door.

The light from the hallway blinded me for a second before my eyes adjusted.

"I think being stuck in there for the whole entire day is en--" My brother stopped talking when he saw that my cheeks were stained with tears.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he took my hands in his. "Why are you crying?"

I shook my head as I kept my head down.

"Katerina," My brother took my chin in his hand then, "What's wrong? You can tell me."

"I'm not good enough," Was all I could mutter out before I buried my face in his chest-- crying my eyes out again.

"Not good enough for what?" He promoted, holding me in his arms.

"For everything," I muttered.

My brother didn't say anything. Clearly, he was confused.

Of course, he would be, there's no way that I would tell him that Roberto would have to have an arranged marriage.

That's basically what's implied with that damn Harem.

Ugh!!!

Why should I care?! We barely kissed each other-- barely at first base. Even if we would get past first base, would marriage be in our future?

Quickly, I turned away from my brother and wiped the tears away with the back of my hand.

Jan was immediately in front of me, with a handkerchief in hand.

"Thanks," I took the handkerchief and-- very unladylike-- blew my nose.

He shook his head, he looked concerned for me, "No problem, Your Highness."

At this point, all I wanted to do was go home-- go back to Dres Van. As shocking as that may sound.

Should I still speak to Roberto about the rumor? I thought as new tears ran down my face.

Ugh!!! Why was I crying so much? And why was my heart aching so much right now?

Before I could regret anything, I turned to look at Jan.