Chapter 27

Roberto stood up from his seat at his desk and walked toward me.

"It'll be fun," He insisted as he took hold of my hand.

"Fun, I don't think so," I laughed nervously, letting him lead us out of his study. "I think the word you're looking for is trouble. We're going to get in trouble for sneaking out. I'll get in trouble for sneaking out."

Roberto laughed as we exited Villa Altaria through a back entrance. It was probably the workers entrance.

"You mean I will get in trouble," He corrected me in a cheerful tone of voice, not the least bit nervous as I am-- or worried for the matter! "I highly doubt that you'll get into trouble, and if you do I'll take the blame for it," He quickly added that last part just when I was about to protest.

"Why do you want to sneak out anyway?" I asked in defeat.

There was no use in arguing with him--or try to convince him to go back to Villa Altaria by this point.

"Because, why not?" He simply replied with a casual shrug.

I shook my head as we walked down a crowded street once we hit town.

"Won't people recognize you?" I whispered to Roberto as I stayed close by him.

"Not really," He shrugged again as he stuffed his hands into his dress pants pockets.

"What about you?" He looked down at me. "Won't people recognize you? Since your hair and eye color are violet?"

I snorted. "Oh, please." I waved him off. "No one will recognize me. I mean, I did stay pretty unrecognizable for the past five years up until recently."

"True," Roberto nodded as we walked down another street, one that wasn't as crowded as the first.

For a while, that's what we did. Just walked around. It felt peaceful somehow.

I understood why Roberto always loved to run away into town most of the time he worked. There were beautiful areas of Altaria's main town, where you could just walk and enjoy the scenery.

Especially in the summer.

The weather was perfect too. Not too hot. Not too cold. Just in the middle where it was comfortable.

"I'm glad that I wore a dress today. The weather is pretty nice," I said as we entered the same plaza that I had bumped into Roberto that day.

"You make it sound like you weren't going to wear a dress," Roberto said as he watched me twirl around, making the skirt of my dress float lightly into the air.

"That's because I didn't want to, but I brought this for our visit so..." I trailed off and shrugged. "Why not?"

Roberto smiled faintly as he watched me balance on top of a fountain's ledge.

"I'm glad that you wore it then," He walked beside me on the sidewalk. "You look beautiful."

My cheeks burned when he had called me "beautiful."

"Thank you," I cleared my throat and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, clearly embarrassed.

We fell silent for a couple of minutes as I continued to walk on the fountains ledge.

During our silence I had lost my footing for a second but Roberto caught me just in time to balance me.

"You should get down from there," He said in a semi-serious tone. "You might fall and hurt yourself-- and your brother might not like it if you went back scathed."