How it all began | Chapter 1

I could only hear the standing ovation but I couldn't help feeling sad, that was the last performance with that amazing crew in that place where dreams come true, the stage, to be more precise a Broadway Stage. Oops, I think you aren't understanding what I'm talking about, first let's begin where we should, the introduction.

My name is Mery, I am 15 years old and I am currently living in New York but I moved in not so long ago, I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm a great fan of the arts and I discovered that it was my passion when I was about 9/10 years old. I started going to Musical Theatre classes at the age of 11 at my school, that was during the school year. In the holidays I went to ACMBA, which was created by two best friends who were teachers at Twinkle Stars, a school of performing arts. At first, they only did this course in winter, which I attended to, but then they began doing a summer camp. Both, in the camp and the winter course, I met tons of friend like Pachu, Juani and Emi, among others.

A year before the last time ACMBA cast me to take part in their show, they weren't doing classes opened to everyone, instead, they selected who they thought was capable. We were going to do "Matilda" the musical, then they told me that I wasn't going to ONLY be cast, but also character. I WAS CAST AS LAVENDER, Matilda's best friend in her new school, and a friend I made in the winter courses was playing the part of Matilda, which was great. This was a huge opportunity for me and I'm really grateful for it.

Two years ago ACMBA began classes during the whole year, which divided in 4 groups + CAST, which would be the only group that existed the previous year. That year, the group I belonged to, 7th to 9th year, were doing the Musical 13! I was soooo excited. I decided to audition for the role of Patrice, the second main character who is friends with the main character. I GOT THE ROLE. I was so excited! Not only because of that, but also because my two best friends, Pachu and Jaz, also got the roles they had auditioned for; Pachu as Patrice number 3 and Jaz as Emma 3, who is the main character. Not only that but I was ALSO called to take part in the group CAST, which was doing THE GREATEST SHOWMAN, and I was going to play young Charity, it was an amazing experience and maybe one of the best in my WHOLE LIFE.

At the beginning of October I auditioned for "School of Rock". This was much more difficult to earn because it was a more demanding institution; It was National and opened to tons of talented kids and teenagers. I loved the rush of auditioning, and before going in I thought, "even if I don't get the part this is a great chance of learning.". This helped me not to get so nervous.

Two months later, when I already thought I hadn't gotten it, I received an email. I had got in, not for the part I auditioned, but for the role of Summer, the manager of the group. I hadn't auditioned for it because I thought I had a lower chance of getting it so I went for another one that I also wanted. It was the 24th of December at 11:59, we were about to have a toast for Christmas but I couldn't hold it in, so I shouted "I GOT THE PART IN SCHOOL OF ROCK, I'M IN!!!!". When I finished the sentence the clock struck midnight and my whole family and I started cheering. I was so happy that I started crying and all my cousins and my siblings came to congratulate me. I spent the last six days of 2019 happier than I had ever been.

Rehearsals began the 1st of January. I arrived at the place an hour earlier, when not even the producers had arrived, and I then saw one of the men who had been watching my audition. He asked me "You are Mery, aren't you?", "Yes, why?" I answered, then he told me that he had completely loved my energy my voice and everything I had showed, I thanked him and then out of nowhere he said "I'm producing my own Broadway Musical with the songwriters of Dear Evan Hansen and the playwright of Hamilton, I already have the funding, but I was missing the star. I know you live here, but if you come we will pay for the expenses of the first year there and also plane tickets to visit your family. I know you need to think about it, but I'll leave you my business card" all I could say was something similar to "thank you". I was in an emotional shock, was that really happening? wasn't I dreaming? I went through rehearsal without telling anyone but when it ended, a boy who was about my age asked me if I was the one with the man who spoke english, because he had been offered, as I, a job in Broadway, in the same show. He then said that he wanted but needed to convince his family and honestly so did I.

When I arrived at home the first thing I did was write to a group I have with Pachu and Jaz "CHIMUELAS" I told them about the Broadway producer and the other boy, then I went to tell my family, they were all in shock, my mom wanted to let me but she had to find a way to organize everything, my dad agreed with her so they were going to tell me later. I spent all the holidays in the city because I had to rehearse but luckily the 1 week we had off was the one when ACMBA camp took place. That year Pachu, Jaz, Juani, Emi, Mili and other friends went, I wanted to tell to everyone about the offer but first I wanted to tell to that people who made it possible Sofi, Toia and Ana. Sofi and Toia were the ones that created ACMBA and when they began a whole year of ACMBA Ana joined them, well she joined that summer so she went to the camps of that year.