Unexpected conversations | Chapter 3

After lunch, they gave us some free time. I went to my phone to see if my mom had sent me something else and I saw a missed video call from an unknown number. That same number had just sent me something.

chat: +54 9 11 5407-0795

Hi Sol!!

How are you??

I'm Juan Miranda

I was wondering if you would like to go out sometime with me

Hi... I'm sorry, but who are you?

Ohh, I'm the boy who was called to Broadway with you

Ohh right, I didn't recognize your name

I'm at summer camp rn

so I won't be able to do anything this week

but maybe next week?

Five minutes after we finished talking they called us to one of the rooms of the house, to begin with, the masterclasses. The song given to me was the exact one with which I had auditioned for School of Rock. I was the third one to show it. When I was performing I started to have flashbacks to all special moments of my life and the last two were being chosen to perform on School of Rock and being casted for Broadway, when I was singing the last chorus I felt so blessed for being given all these opportunities and I felt like owing Sofi, Toia, and Ana everything, after all I learned everything from them and they had given me some amazing possibilities. The last note played and my body felt on my feet, Pachu realized that and jumped off the ground and hugged me, being in her arms I felt like I could release everything and then I started crying, Toia told me that if I needed I could go to my room and when I felt better I could come back.

Although I didn't need I went to my room and wrote to Juan. I asked him if he felt like I did but he didn't because everything he had learned was from other artists that didn't pay much attention to him, they only cared of a good show and that the only person that showed him compassion was the producer and me, because he didn't have parents they had given him away and he was still in the system but now this man adopted him and made his dream come true so he owed this shot and everything to him. We talked for ten minutes and we really connected and despite the different backgrounds, we had a lot in common. I guess Toia got worried because she came to see how I was and I told her that great and never had been better and asked her if later I could talk to her and Sofi and Ana, then we returned with the rest. Pachu was about to do her song, "Watch What Happens" from Newsies. Seeing her perform I saw her enjoying the whole song, it had been made for her, all the energy and sanguinity. When the screaming part came I was already imaging her in the stage with the costume and the whole atmosphere. I could see Toia smiling from ear to ear. She saw the same thing I did, a character and her ideal actress. More, in the end, we all stood up and took a place in her song, well at least all of those who knew what happened in the scene of the show. Toia, Sofi, Ana and I were the firsts. Then Juani, Jaz, Emi, and Agos, we were all feeling the rush as if we were actually taking part in that scene. When the song came to an end Jaz, Pachu and I started laughing, we had imagined this once together in my house, this song, and these exact positions and roles. Jaz came up after Pachu, she was given the song Mama Will Provide from Once on this Island. She was able to hit perfectly all the notes she was worried about and performed it in an original way that no one could have thought of. But most importantly she was having fun.

The rest of the day was pretty much the same. After supper, we watched Finding Nemo. Then at about 11:30 they sent us to our rooms. I shared it with Jaz, Pichu (Pachu), Cler, Mori, Opi and Mili. We talked for some time but Mori and Cler fell asleep so as not to bother them we went to one of the livings. We ran into some friends, Fermin, Marcos and Juanma. They are all really talented and really fun to be with. Juanma seemed really into Pichu, he laughs at her jokes and whenever she is talking he is smiling, it's really cute. It was at about 1:45 when Toia started going through the rooms checking that everyone was where they should. We had rooms next to each other which were the ones in the end of the hallway, next to where we were so we could easily go back without being discovered. We were able to get back, when we got there and the rest of our roommates were sleeping. We wanted to meet the boys again after Toia checked on us but...when she came to check on us the boys were going back to the living and they called us through the distance and she heard and sent all of us to sleep immediately.

We faked sleeping and when she left we talk for about two more hours until 4:00 am. The next day they woke us up at 9 am so we were so tired, except for Cler and Mori who had had a beauty sleep. My group house from ACMBA, green, was in charge of preparing breakfast so I had to get up and get ready really fast. I was running late so I helped my group preparing everything and then I went back to my room to finish getting ready, when I arrived at the breakfast table there was not much food left, except for the burned toasts we made. I ate those and a glass of juice. Later, we went to the pool and we tried to take information about which was the CAST musical of this year. They told us that there were going to participate 7 kids we didn't know who they could be, I wasn't going to be for obvious reasons but I was hoping that Pichu or Jaz were called to take part. Then Toia called Pachu to talk to her, she also called Mili, we could only see their backs so I didn't know what they were talking about from their face expressions, but I could see Toia's expression, Sofi and Ana joined her and they said what they wanted to, Sofi and Ana were smiling but Toia bursted into tears.