22

‡‡

James held onto the straps of his backpack as he jogged up the concrete stairs that led to the entrance of his high school he attended. It was a crisp Monday morning the air was muggy as the students in the hallway held their own conversations. The other jocks coming to greet James- except for Robert who was doing his own thing at his locker.

James was the only one on the football team that understands this guy, the quiet student who wanted a free ride to college to make something of himself- a doctor moreso. Robert was like a little brother to James even though they were the same age just months apart, and James was always looking out for Robert.

When Robert first joined it was Chase Mullens that was the football leader, he let James pick who he thought would be best for the team for after that year James would be the football captain. James picked Robert, not because he played well but because there was something about that kid that always interested James- it had to be Roberts introverted smartass ways.

James and Robert couldn't be anymore different, and maybe that's why James liked him as a best friend. James was the charismatic, good looking, straight forward spot on guy that was the football star. While Robert was the introverted, smart mouth football star that wasn't even close to the spotlight as he hung in the shadows unlike James.

James remembered all the boys who tried to talk shit about Robert behind his back in the locker room and James set them straight.

"What the hell is wrong with you boys? You wanna lose your spot on my team?" His voice boomed catching all the players' attention "I hear what you say about Robert, and let me tell you he is a better player than any of you boys! Now if hear one more peep about shit talking him I will boot everyone of you out of here but him and rebuild my team! We don't tear one another down we build one another up you asshats!"

From that day on the boys had warmed up to Robert and considered him their special team member and wouldn't let anyone bully him- though he stood up for himself at times. James looked around the hallways and he caught Bekah's light eyes and sent her a smile and a wink making her roll her eyes in a playful way.

James heard the rumors of how those two were an item, and secretly he had hoped that would happen but after a couple years and some incidents- that wouldn't be the case but they were quite the duo at times.

"There's the sheriffs son beater." One of James' boys pointed out as the football team passed him they gave him a dirty look and James noticed the bruised hands of the boy who stared back at him without a care- standing his own ground.

"Someone outta beat his ass." James muttered knowing better than to wish another man's downfall as karma would bite him in the ass for that.

James sat at his desk listening to the meaningless rant of his math teacher as his finger tips drummed a quiet beat "Late again Mr. Clark, this is a new record." The teacher openly embarrassed the student who shrugged his shoulders and took the seat open in the back "Now before our rude interruption from Mr. Clark the rest of us were actually learning." The teacher continued his assault.

"Then why don't you get back to that learning instead of pin pointing me?" Devon cocked back leaning forward on his desk, the room filled with mutters of "oo" and James rolled his eyes "Please, continue teach. Some of us aren't assholes." James spoke clearly not turning to look at anyone but the teacher.

James didn't get in trouble for cussing in this class, he was the top student and knew how the math teacher prized him as some high class trophy. The teacher merely gave a slight smile as he turned back to the board letting the children snicker at James' come back. He still refused to look back at Devon, who was now considered the sheriff's sons beater.

James didn't want drama, he didn't want a fight- but James also wasn't about to just let up on the kid cause he beat someone up. James wasn't about to start anything with anybody but he knew Devon needed to be set straight a bit.

"Hey Clark!" James jogged up to the boy as the bell had stopped ringing and Devon stopped "What?" He asked glaring at James.

"Look man, sorry about class but it had to be said." Devon scoffed "You idiot jocks think everything you say need to be said and it doesn't." Devon nodded his head towards James who sighed.

"Devon, I don't want a fight nor make an enemy out of you. I want to offer you a spot on my team." Devon stood there dumbfounded.

"What?" James nods his head "One of my boys is moving schools and the spot is secretly open and I want you to fill it. You don't seem like one for teams but I think you'd be a damn good player." James admits.

Secretly James was hoping to help this guy out. It was his concern now, he didn't know why but it was. Devon looked at him and then turned around walking off.

"Tomorrow at 5PM is practice!" James called out as the loner continued to walk down the hallway "Not a chance asshole." Devon muttered under his breath.

‡‡