The Books

Eventually, the locks released and I hopped down off of the table. I headed straight towards the closet and went for the lock boxes. Never wearing a tutu before, I was unaware how much they got in the way.

I wasn't even aware that I had accepted being placed in this without any fight- or how I was basically willing doing all of this stuff- no longer complaining. At the beginning of the day, I would have fought to avoid all of this and instead was now just focused on completing this puzzle.

I tried the first lock box with the code of the shapes I counted on the bottle- and the first one worked! Inside were three slips of paper, that read:

"What's the difference between your favorite animal and your least favorite animal? "

"Nobody loves you like Mommy and Daddy, *Big Sloppy Kisses "

"Baby Happy, Baby Sad that's true, how many times did the baby feel blue?"

These were obviously referring to the books. I raced over to get them and started looking at what could mean what. The slips of paper were labelled so I knew the order of the code. The difference between my favorite animal and least favorite animal? Well my favorite animal is a duck, I just think they are kind of cool. My least favorite animal is a sheep because my grandma's ran me over when I was like five. There are a lot of differences between those.

I looked through the book- finding almost no similarities between the two- they were even on like opposite sides of the book. "The sheep says baa" was on page 3 and "the duck says quack" was all the way on page 11. I should have been thinking who knew that those were my favorite and least favorite animals, it would have narrowed down my suspect lists to three; however, I was too focused on the clues.

Difference.... maybe like math? 11-3 is 8, so we will try 8 as the first number. I was just thinking that I had no idea what this puzzle was even solving- right now I had two things that needed codes- the other lock box and the hidden door.

I had this, the dog, and maybe the giant bear left.

The second code was probably for Goodnight Moon, since the last was referring to Baby Happy Baby Sad. On page 23 of Goodnight Moon, there was a blank page that said "Goodnight Nobody." This had to be the clue, 23 maybe. What did the kisses have to do with anything?

Just to check, I kissed the page. There was a weird taste. I didn't see much change but looked back at the slip- 'sloppy kisses'. No longer caring about what I looked like, I went for it. I was basically licking the page- which kind of tasted like an envelope. The heat and saliva from my mouth started to reveal something. While the rest of the page got dark and wet, there was an outline that stayed light and dry. That outline was the number 9.

Finally, I went to the last book. How many times was the baby feeling blue? Getting a hang of the clues- which were actually not the most difficult- which also should have been a hint about my captors- I counted the number of blue pages. 4. I was certain that the code was 8-9-4.

This wasn't enough for the other lock box, so I tried the door. Typing the three numbers and hitting unlock, nothing happened.

I was stuck again. I went back to the giant bear and inspected it again- but there was nothing that looked like it was anything other than a bear. That left the dog. I hit the button over and over again, hearing the dog bark, twinkle twinkle little start over and over. I was stuck.