Chapter 7

The Magician was in visible distress. The audience could tell that his head was somewhere else. His usual dazzling eyes and shimmering smile were elsewhere. But they didn't mind, since as soon as they exited the show, the attendants handed each and every one of them a cherry blossom branch. They came from a tree that grows on the far side of the mountain and blooms once a year. Only those with an abundance of money could afford anything like it. The Magician came from money himself, so they weren't surprised by the sudden rare gift. Money was never an issue with Namjoon. He had so much that he didn't know what to do with it all. He doubts that by the time he dies, he'll have even made a small dent in his fortune. But that was not his primary concern right now. When the light on the stage was shut off, he ran backstage. Just as he feared, a crowd of creatures swarmed where you were sitting. Only it seemed that you were unconscious.

At first, he thought of how bothersome it would be if you were dead. He would have to come up with an elaborate lie to the stage manager and the owner of the venue. It would have been too much trouble for one night when he would rather be drinking at Hoseok's. But he noticed that his potion glass was empty, the one he made to knock himself out after a long day. Not many people know this but he frequently suffers from insomnia and when he's left alone with his thoughts, it's never pretty.

He quickly ushered the crowd away. The fairies and small woodland creatures were easily amused, all he needed to do was give them another distraction. He took out his card, the Ace of Spade and whispered something. The card fell to the ground and emitted a hologram. It was of a forest, packed with trees and even bird calls. The group moved like a swarm of bees over to the hologram. Their mouths hang open like amused children. He took the opportunity to scoop you up and disappeared into the shadows.

The somber morning light trickled through the thick velvet curtains. Whoever this room belongs to really values their sleep. Even the mattress cover was genuine silk. Your hands glided smoothly through the sheets like butter. The air smelled of fresh lavender, which was present in the form of a bundle on the table next to the bed. You closed your eyes again but bolted up because there was still a high probability that you are still in the murderous world where everything wants you dead.

Behind the curtains, you saw that the sun was already creeping up behind the horizon. The adjacent descending moon looked the way it was supposed to, white and filled with pores. Taking a closer look at the room, you noticed that everything was the bare minimum. Besides the silk-covered bed, nothing else screamed luxurious or decadent. A bookshelf stood on the opposite wall of the bed. Your fingers trailed the binding. Hesse, Murakami, Kafka. Whoever this is sure has an ambitious taste in books. Beyond the door, you heard muffled voices. Looking around, you grabbed the biggest book you could find and held it up high.

The door opened with ease. For a moment, you were worried that you were locked up inside. The hallway gave no indication about the owner of the place but there was an overwhelming scent of something cooking. The voices doubled, then tripled. You counted about three men, one of them being Namjoon for sure. You lowered the book but held it close to your chest. "I told you guys a million times," Namjoon sighed in desperation. "She came in through the portal, I don't know how it opened or how she even saw it. But... I don't think she's human."

"We would have sensed her if she was magical," someone else offered.

"Seokjin said she might deflect magic," Namjoon argued.

"I never said that," you assumed that was Seokjin. "I only said my powers wouldn't work on someone who can deflect magic. She could be a late bloomer."

"A deflector? Didn't the Queen wipe them all out?"

"Well we don't know for sure, so let's not make any assumptions," Seokjin stressed.

When you peeked over the corner, you saw Namjoon sitting at the couch and Seokjin over by the kitchen island. He had broad shoulders and a millionaire smile. Hoseok sat across from Namjoon, he had fiery red hair.

"It would make sense," the first guy said. "That's why Namjoon wasn't able to sense her even though they have the same class and why his magic didn't work on her."

"Well Hoseok, you gotta remember that Namjoon isn't the brightest out of all of us," Seokjin laughed. Namjoon threw something at him but he easily dodged it. "I saw it coming," he reminded. "And you can come out from behind the corners now."

You gasped quietly, he was looking right at you. Namjoon and Hoseok turned their attention to you as well. Namjoon had his hair down, his real hair went to his chin. It felt like you were invading his privacy by looking at him like this but you couldn't help it. Everything about him felt different. "Did you sleep well?" he asked.

You nodded a response. Your bare feet felt cold above the hardwood floor.

"Come grab a seat and I'll bring you some food," Seokjin smiled.

On cue, Hoseok scooted aside, making enough room for you. Namjoon frowned at the gesture and pulled you to his side and yanked you down. You let out a small gasp at the force. "Do you remember what happened?" he asked. His expression indicated that he was mostly bored rather than curious.
"I went to another world?"

"Correct," he nodded. "And you've seen and heard too much for me to try to sell you another story. So I'll tell you the truth." You sat up a little straighter, anxiously waiting for his explanation. "There are many worlds besides this one. Humans would call them other dimensions or parallel universes. What you saw was Etherio, the original world. The one where every other one is based on. It's the life source of this world and the rest. It's home to all sorts of magical creatures. The things that chased you yesterday were the Reapers. They seek out negative energy and will suck out your life forces. I don't know how they managed to make a portal. Only those born in Etherio and possessing magic are able to go between worlds. Do you know what that means?"

"It can't be," you whispered. "I've lived here my whole life."

"We don't know how it's possible either, but you're not human," Namjoon stated. He held up a card, the Ace of Clubs. "This card was supposed to erase your memories. I've used it three times on you and nothing happened. Seokjin didn't see you in any of his visions. And Hoseok's fire and ice didn't work on you either."

"You tried to set me on fire?" you yelled.

"It's precautions," he whined. "No need to feel offended. We need to check what you are first."

"And you've concluded that I'm some sort of magical creature."

"Not a creature," Hoseok interjected. "Magic-user. We all are. I control the elements, Namjoon creates illusions, Seokjin sees the future."

"Then what am I?"

"That we still don't know," Seokjin continued as he placed the plate of food in front of you. It was nicer than anything your mom ever made. Your eyes grew wider. "My parents!"

"Don't worry, we sent someone to take care of it." Namjoon dismissed.

"What is that supposed to mean?"