Chapter 28

The familiar scene laid out in front of you. The boys sat around the dinner table, their laughter filled the room as they ate and chatted with each other. Life was great. Except it wasn't tonight. Silence deafened the room. Their faces as grave as the imminent danger looming over the horizon. "It's called the Extinguishing Project," Yoongi began. "The map here shows the location of the devices. It seemed that during her time on the throne, she's been placing these devices in all of the worlds." The devices were hidden from plain sight, but the blueprint showed that they resembled a queen chess piece. How fitting to be the face of doom.

"What does it do?" Jungkook asked. He stood by the doorway, his face hardened as he studied the map projected onto the table with Namjoon's magic. The number of x's was bone-chilling. Especially given the context of the situation. It was like a plague.

Yoongi chose his words carefully. For a long moment after discovering this project in that secret room, he didn't think it was real. He couldn't believe that his sister was the mastermind behind something as cynical as this. "As the name suggests," he continued, "it'll wipe out all the magic in existence."

The boys visually tensed up. Beside you, Namjoon squeezed your hand tight to keep himself from exploding. "How can that be possible?" Seokjin asked. "We're talking about the 7 worlds. There's no way she has enough power to do that."

"That's not true," Hoseok frowned, "When she hunted down all of the Deflectors, there must have been another purpose other than for their extinction."

"Exactly," Yoongi nodded. "She was able to harvest their life forces and put them into these machines. Once activated, our magic would be gone. Of course, she could leave a few out, including herself and the people of her choosing. And she'll be the most powerful creature in all of the world."

"So we'll just be regular humans?" Jimin asked.

Yoongi nodded, "She almost has enough magic to pull out this plan."

Jungkook tilted his head, "Almost?"

"She needs one more to complete the project," you spoke up for the first time since coming home. "That's why she kept me alive, because she needed me to activate the machines once they were all in the right places. She'll use my magic to take away yours."

"What happens to you after?" Namjoon asked, his voice was quiet like the wind.

"I would most likely die," you answered honestly. There was no sugar coating in this situation. Admitting the truth would make it easier to accept once the time comes. "It's what happened to the other Deflectors she captured. She took their lives away from them."

Namjoon inhaled, he cocked his head up to the ceiling. Numerous thoughts ran through his mind. He could take your hand and portal to somewhere the Queen can't reach. He would spend every day for the rest of his life to keep you hidden and safe. He would kill everyone who gets in the way. He would do anything.

Jungkook took a step closer, putting his hands down on the table "So how do we stop it? There has to be a way."

"Unfortunately, there are no self-destruct buttons," Yoongi pointed out. "But as long as we keep Y/N away from her, she won't have any way of activating the devices."

Namjoon cleared his throat, "We should plan on evacuating now while we still have the upper hand. It won't be long until she figured out you two were in the Archive and found out her plan-"

"Tomorrow," Seokjin blurted.

"What?"

"She'll be here tomorrow."

The magician bit his lips. He was pinching himself to keep his eyes from closing shut. It had been a long day. "Okay. Arm yourselves with whatever you have. Y/N and I will leave Etherio and go somewhere far. She can use her magic to keep a shield around us and I'll use my magic to divert the Queen's attention for as long as I can. I suggest you all leave too."

The boys nodded, not really knowing what it all meant for them. If caught, they would be considered criminals and be thrown in jail, or worse, executed. Each one of them pondered the possibility of running away with new identities and starting over. Seokjin could go back to Earth and be a chef. Hoseok could move Juniper, he always liked how the stars were so bright at night. Jimin and Yoongi could go together to Smeraldo for its purple moon. Jungkook likes the wolfpack in Twila, and they always joke about how he could be their alpha.

"We're not running away." They turned their heads towards you. Suddenly, it occurred to you just how small you were in comparison to everyone else in the room, in terms of physical appearance and magic. "If we run away now, she wins. She'll keep chasing us for the rest of our lives. We have to stop her. If she doesn't activate the pieces, she'll find another way to strip away our power. This cycle of tyranny has to end."

"And how do you suggest we do that?" Yoongi frowned, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"We might not have enough time to destroy the machines, but the main one is in the palace according to this map. If we can get to it, I'm sure I can find a way to take away it's magical source."

The prince nodded, his eyes lighting up for the first time tonight, "And without that, the others won't work."

"What do we do about the Queen then?" Seokjin questioned.

"Noona can take away the Queen's magic," Jungkook exclaimed. "The Queen doesn't know about noona's extra power."

"He's right," you agreed. "In all the documents we found, there was no mention of my ability to take away magic. Only that I needed to be alive to power the main machine."

"This could work," Hoseok exhaled. His lips curved into a hopeful smile. The group rejoiced in the seemingly well-thought-out plan. Namjoon stood up abruptly and knocked his chair over. He didn't seem to notice as he walked out the door. You followed quickly behind him to the lake. He stood in front of the water.

"What's wrong-"

"What were you thinking?" he thundered. Under the moonlight, you show his brows knitting together and his lips pursed into a line. Somehow he appeared taller. You've never seen him so mad before. "How could you offer yourself like that without knowing if you could actually do it or not?"

You matched his volume, "I still have to try! I can't just sit around while all of you sacrifice yourself to keep me safe. That's not fair. I'm not worth all of this effort."

"You don't get to decide that!" he yelled. His body began to shake, his breath came out unsteady. In his eyes, you saw silver tears. "I get to decide how worth it you are to me. And right now, Y/N, you're my life."

Your mouth parted, "Namjoon,"

"I don't give a damn if I die," he stressed. "She could torture me to death and I wouldn't care. I can take care of myself, Y/N. But you're my priority."

You swallowed back your own tears. It tasted bitter and sharp. "That's too bad," you decided, "because you're mine too. I love you, Namjoon."

It caught him off guard. He hadn't heard that from anyone before. Looking into your eyes, he searched for a sign of forfeiting and found none. He took a step closer and dropped his head onto your shoulder. "Fine," he exhaled. You felt his tears soaking your shoulder. "You win. But if you die, I'm dying with you."