Chapter 12

The boys sat around the kitchen table. They haven't said anything to each other all afternoon but there was a shared consensus that this was a bigger task than they originally intended.

"Well," Seokjin began, his glasses were nowhere in sight. Similar to Namjoon, he didn't need the glasses, but he felt that they added to his mysterious aura. Plus, everyone at work wore glasses and he figured it was the best way to blend in, otherwise, his handsome face might give it away that he's not a normal human. "We know for sure now that she is indeed a Deflector now."

"Not only that," Hoseok continued, the whiskey glass in his palm froze with his gaze, "She can stop magic altogether."

"I didn't think that was possible," the maknae shared. He shuddered, remembering how he felt utterly powerless for a few seconds when Namjoon went flying. "I've never heard of such magic before."

"It's ancient, and utterly dangerous," Seokjin nodded. He, too, grew weary by the second. He felt useless that he didn't see the incident earlier. But then again, there was no way he could have seen anything with you around. "That's why the Queen destroyed all Deflectors in Etherio. She was worried they might join their power and tear Etherio and other worlds apart."

Hoseok took a large gulp of whiskey. It burned his throat, but he was grateful to feel anything at all."If that's the case, we're helping a criminal. If we don't report this to the Queen, we'll all be punished."

"Or Y/N might take our power and kill us herself." Jungkook lowered his head to the table. "I know she wouldn't but that's the legend."

"It's a stupid legend." They all turned their heads towards the couch. Namjoon rested his eyes with a bag of ice on his forehead. He was still recovering from the crash earlier. "The Queen is selfish, she'll make up any rumor and spread fear to get what she wants. Who knows how many innocent lives she has taken on her quest to rule the world. Y/N would never hurt us, let alone kill us."

"She literally sent you flying earlier, hyung," Jungkook pointed out. Normally if this had happened to anyone else, he would be laughing his ass off. But since it happened to his role model, the love of his life, and in such unfortunate and terrifying circumstances, he was worried.

"I know that," the older boy grunted. "But when I touched her hand, I could feel her fear. She was terrified, she didn't know what she was doing. If she learns to control her power, she won't be out of control and this won't happen again."

"You know we can't let her use her power, ever," Seokjin urged. "That blast today must have sent a shock through Etherio. It's only a matter of times before the Queen makes her move."

Namjoon knew he was right. If your power comes out again, there's no telling what could happen. Luckily, the surge earlier was small enough for the boys to conceal as a firework show gone wrong. Hoseok set a few patches of grass on fire to cast the appearance of firework damage. Jungkook went back to your house with his transformation in hopes of keeping the Knights distracted and at bay. They had gone back to sleep before he snuck back out. "So what do you suggest we do now?" he asked no one in particular. "We can't keep doing this, pretending that this is normal and somehow we'll make it work. We can't keep shielding her forever."

"But we can't just abandon her," Hoseok made himself a second drink, he had a feeling he would be staying here for the night.

"I'm not saying that," Namjoon sighed. After the blast earlier and feeling what you felt, he couldn't even imagine the possibility of leaving you alone. All of his life, he wanted nothing more than to carry out a carefree existence. This is the complete opposite of it but he couldn't bring himself to any other conclusion. He groaned and shut his eyes harder. "I don't know, we'll figure it out later. For now, let's just pretend nothing happened." The rest of the boys exhaled. Namjoon was terrible with making decisions and yet somehow they have unanimously voted him to be the unofficial leader of the group.

A few days later, you woke up. Namjoon wasn't particularly worried. When someone exerts a massive amount of magic for the first time, it's normal for their body and mind to take a couple of days to heal. He was the first face you saw when you opened your eyes. He said nothing as he handed you a wet towel to wipe your face. It felt satisfying. "I'm sorry," you offered in a small voice. Namjoon hummed in response.

"Don't worry about the Knights, Jungkook is there right now."

"Thank you."

"Are you okay?"

You lied, "Yes, I'm fine." If you weren't, everything would be destroyed.

It was enough for Namjoon. If he dug deeper, he might not like the answer he finds. Seokjin set up breakfast on the dining room table before he left for work. It was a feast and your growling stomach was prepared to eat everything. Namjoon's eyes widened as he watched you inhale the food on the table, his chopsticks hanging in the air still. A knock came from the door, you were too occupied to notice. Namjoon rolled his eyes and got up, unfortunately, it was his apartment after all.

From the table, you watched as his blank face turned into a deep frown. His hands turned into fists and it looked like he wanted to murder whoever the visitor was. You heard a low and familiar chuckle. "Dr. Kim?" you called out. As expected, the curly-haired man pushed past Namjoon and peeked from the doorway.

"Hello Y/N," he smiled. "A little birdy told me you weren't feeling well and said you would be here."

During your time with the boys, you learned to recognize a magical presence. The man standing in front of you had an undeniable aura. You now realized that he meant it in a literal way.

"How do you know him?" Namjoon asked, his face still stuck in a frown.

"I work for him," you answered, "How do you two know each other?"

Taehyung chuckled. "That's not important right now." He danced his way over to you and grabbed your hands. The gesture instantly made you blush. "I always knew you were special. You were dormant before but now you have blossomed."

Namjoon yanked on Taehyung's collar and picked him up, "Don't you dare touch her. And get out of my house."

Taehyung easily pushed Namjoon's grip away. "Gladly," he said boredly. "And Y/N, I'll see you later." And just like that, the door closed.

Namjoon turned to you, "Quit that job immediately."

"What? Why?"

"He's a dangerous person, you can't trust him."

"And how would you know that?"

Namjoon bit the inside of his lips, his head was throbbing. "Because he's my brother."