Chapter 29

You could tell that you were dreaming. Your body moved slowly and the objects surrounding you were static. People chained to pillars, they cried out into the empty void for help. In their eyes, you saw their last moment of happiness. Someone was by the fireplace with their child, someone was singing happy birthday, Namjoon kissed you by the lake last night. The ground roared. Bodies twisted and chains rattled against the pillars. The eyes to the Queen chess piece lit up, it had begun.

Morning came earlier than you would have liked. The sunlight warmed your body, but it couldn't compare to Namjoon's arms around your waist, his lips lingering on your neck. It made you forget about the nightmare. If last night was truly the last before doomsday, it would be a hell of a way to end things. He groggily opened his eyes, not wanting to admit the start of a new day. Who knew what would await the two of you outside these walls.

With a soft groan, he pushed himself off the bed. You watched him closing the bathroom door behind him. The soft gray walls suited him. On his bedside, there was a record player and some green vines dangling out of the opening. Similar to his room in the other world, he kept the decorations minimal besides some antiques he collected or was gifted. The crystal ball was the most intriguing of them all. You wonder if it can tell the future better than Seokjin. But what made you smile was the object on a glass pedestal. The mask you had given him. He had worn it every show since.

Namjoon exited the bathroom, his hair tied back and his face freshly shaven. Even magical beings have to go through mundane tasks. He grabbed his button up on the railing of the bed and tossed it on. He looked outside the window to the lake. The surface sparkled like sapphire. He could see the trees swaying, leaves ruffling like waves of sand. The horizon rumbled, the birds flew out of their nests and scattered. He took a deep breath. "She's here."

You felt it too, the magnitude of power and confidence was undeniable. Namjoon helped you out of bed. He kissed your forehead while you buttoned his shirt up. "We'll be okay," you promised.

He nodded, "Yes, we'll be okay."

She didn't wait for the homeowner to open her door. To her, anything on the grounds of Etherio belonged to her, even this house in particular. She was finishing up her cup of tea when the two of you came out of his room. Her eyes darted to your hand in his, your unintentionally messed up hair and his intentionally half-buttoned shirt. It drove her mad. She placed the tea cup down with unreserved annoyance. "So I guess it is true after all, you are a real couple," she spat. She wore a brown pants suit that, on anyone else, would look horrendous, but she wore it with grace. "I was hoping it was just a ploy so that you can make me jealous, Joonie."

Namjoon winced. Her shrill voice made the flattering nickname sound like a curse. "What are you doing in our house?" he asked.

The Queen looked up boredly at him, then exaggerated a smile. "You two left quite early last night, is everything okay?"

"Everything is quite alright, Your Majesty," you answered. "You are too kind to come here and check up on us like that."

She scoffed, "Well I am always kind towards my loyal subjects. And because I'm in a good mood today, I have decided to host your wedding ceremony in the palace. Tonight"

Namjoon clenched his jaws; he hadn't anticipated the Queen to make this move. "While that is a very gracious offer, Your Majesty, I'm afraid it's too much of an honor for us."

"Nonsense," she yawned, "I can see that your love for each other is genuine. As someone who loves to celebrate, I simply must do this for you. Think of it as a farewell gift from an old lover. You do love her, don't you?"

"More than I've ever loved anyone before,"he answered.

She bit the inside of her cheeks, "Then you should have no problem marrying her tonight."

Namjoon urged, "Your Majesty, it is simply out of the question for a couple of no royal lineage to wed in the Royal Court."

"It's my court!"she boomed. It was a good thing Namjoon was still holding your hand, otherwise, you might have been knocked out by the wave of magic. "Don't you dare deny my benevolent offer. The two of you will have your ceremony in my court tonight and that is final. Death will come to anyone who opposes me." Her eyes started glowing. Namjoon shielded your eyes with his body.

"Fine," he answered. "We accept your offer, Your Majesty."

The light faded in her eyes, she smiled victoriously, " Wonderful. Now go change, we have a lot of preparation to do."

Hesitantly, Namjoon let go of your hand for you to go change. Every step you took felt like a cinder block tied to your ankle. When Seokjin saw that she was coming today, you expected an army at the doorstep. You certainly didn't think she would offer to host a wedding ceremony for the two of you. And while you hadn't imagined what your wedding would look like, you certainly didn't picture it being the end of the world.

Outside the living room, Namjoon kept his eyes on your door to make sure nothing would happen during the time he couldn't be with you. "Oh relax," the Queen muttered. "I wouldn't kill her while she's changing. Who do you take me for?"

"A murderous bitch?"

She nodded, "That's quite clever. I think I'll write it down."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Didn't I already explain it? I just want to make sure you're happy for the rest of your life, Joonie."

"Stop calling me that," he barked.

"But why?" she pushed herself off the couch and maneuvered to his side. He kept his body straight as she slid her hand on his chest. "You used to love it when I called you that."

"I used to like you better when you actually cared about the people you rule over,"

"But you still left me,"

"Because I know you're incapable of love,"

She clung onto his chest and pushed herself up. "I'll make you love me,"she swore, "One way or another." Namjoon tried to look away, but it was too late. When you came out of the room, the Queen was back on the couch and Namjoon held his hand out for you to hold. Nothing has changed.