Chapter 30

Namjoon was more enthusiastic about the wedding planning than you had thought. As the three of you walked through the corridors of the familiar palace, he chatted fondly with the Queen about various decorations. During the car ride, he kept his comments to a minimum and you just assumed he was still processing everything. However, his indifference towards everything completely disappeared once he stepped into the palace. Seeing him happy was reassuring, nonetheless, you had no idea what she had planned for the two of you at the ceremony later.

There was an air of festivity throughout the palace. Servants were already frantically running around with flowers, tapestries, and food. Somehow the Queen already had all of these supplies ready and she was awaiting the day she would finally get to put them to use. You wonder if they were from when she thought Namjoon would marry her. Surprisingly, she's also in a better mood than you thought. If you were in her shoes, you might kill your competition and most definitely not throw your beloved a wedding ceremony in your own home.

The Queen turned her attention to you, her arm looped intricately around Namjoon's. It bothered you, obviously, but it must be worse for him. Though he showed no sign of discomfort on his face. "Follow my guards," she commanded. "They'll take you to your quarter where you'll get ready before the ceremony." On cue, two pawns appeared right beside you. They resembled nothing like the chess pieces, but their stoic face and demeanor suggested they were all about loyalty to the Queen. You looked down at their sharp blades and recoiled slowly. It would be fruitless to run away now.

"What about Namjoon?"

She pressed herself closer to him, he didn't even twitch. "Well, he'll be reading ready too, of course. In a separate room." With that, she lightly yanked him away. His body moved with ease under her touch. There was a jab in your heart. The further he got away, the less air you were able to breathe in. The invisible string tying you two together grew looser by the second. And then he was gone.

"Let's go," one of the pawns nagged. You were sandwiched in between them as they led you to the room. It was at the end of the long hallway. It wouldn't be a coincidence if she had given you a broom closet to get ready in, but shockingly, it was a perfectly sized room with bright lighting. There were already a few servants in the room. Though you couldn't imagine how a fairy could be tied down, the Queen's influence stretched wide. Her wings flapped gold glitter as she walked. Another girl slithered to the door to greet you. When she smiled, her snake-like tongue appeared as well. The guards ushered for you to enter the room and they closed the door harshly behind you. You could feel them planting themselves outside the entrance in case you try to make a run for it.

The snake and fairy sat you down in front of the vanity. They said nothing as they dust various powders on your face. Soon, your face was painted like a canvas and your hair curled and tucked into a high updo. The mirror reflected what you've only seen in magazines or in K-dramas. But there was one final touch. The fairy pulled a large bag out of the closet and sent it floating in the air. The cover was pulled back and you covered your mouth. Perhaps every young girl has sketched out their dream wedding dress at some point in their life. What you were looking at was pulled directly from your diary more than a decade ago. But it was more polished and elegant. While it was a disturbing thought to have someone go through your personal details, the sheer amazement from the dress made you forget everything else.

It felt even better to have it on. For the first and probably last time in your life, you felt like an adult. Like a bride. You twirled around in front of the mirror as the fairy flapped her wings more, sending dust all around you. You giggled out loud, but they kept their faces blank.

Then the door opened, Namjoon walked in still wearing the same outfit as before. You blushed and tried to cover yourself. "You know it's bad luck to see the bride before the ceremony, right?" you teased. Namjoon was known to be a serious person, with the tendency to joke around to avert his nervousness, but he didn't even crack a smile. It was alarming in a lot of ways but it was most disappointing that he didn't seem happy to see you in a wedding dress. You shook the thought away, it's been a weird day. Normal reactions are overrated anyway. "Why aren't you dressed?" you asked instead.

"I'm not marrying you," he said. You did a double-take. It was his voice and the man in front of you had his face. But the mannerism in which he spoke was so cold and robotic.

"I know it's not what we want but we don't have a choice. She'll kill us if we don't do this. And it's not so bad. We love each other, right? So it doesn't matter when the ceremony is."

"I don't want to marry you," he said. The slight change of word didn't go unnoticed.

Your throat was swelling up, "Ever?"

"I want to marry the Queen," he declared. "She's the only one I've ever wanted."

"Namjoon, don't be serious," you scoffed, taking a step towards him. "She's a horrible person. She-" You didn't get to finish your sentence because Namjoon had pushed you down to the ground. The fairy and snake held in their gasps. Namjoon looked down at you as though he was satisfied.

"Don't you speak ill of her, you foul Deflector," he growled.

"Namjoon!"

"You heard him," a voice declared from behind him. The Queen waltzed in and crossed her arms. "He doesn't want you, Deflector."

Your heartbeat quickened. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh give it a rest," she nagged. "Do you think I'm so foolish that I didn't recognize your power? You killed my Knights and fled to Etherio, right under my nose and you think I wouldn't notice?"

"So you've been messing with us this whole time?"

She laughed, "You don't have any right to question me right now."

Your body felt too heavy to lift up and it occurred to you that the fairy dust was finally taking effect. "What did you do to him?"

"Nothing," she shrugged, "I simply showed him what he truly desires - me!"

"You're controlling him, you witch," you yelled.

She bent down with fire in her eyes. Her sharp nails grazed painfully on your cheek. If she pressed harder, blood would pour out. "So what if I am?" she challenged. "I'm the Queen after all. And you lost." She stood up and snapped her fingers. The pawns swarmed into the room and dragged you away. In all of the chaos, you could only look at him and cry out his name. But no matter how much you begged, he was still holding her hand.