Chapter 25

Sweet orchestral music greeted you as the group entered the banquet hall. The center chandelier bathed the room in a golden veil. Everything from the food, the dance floor, even to the guests, was glimmering. While the party hasn't officially started, people already took the liberty of dancing to the music. Their bodies swaying along to the melody. Namjoon held your hand tightly as you descended the grand staircase. Luckily for you, he granted you sneakers instead of heels.

The ceiling stretched as high as the heavens, a pink sky painted on it with images of angels and gods. Pillars eroded from the ground to support the structure. It reminded you of a museum, with the timeless architecture and decor. Some of the decorations were busts of the Queen. As you walked around, it was as though her eyes were following you everywhere. It left little to be desired. Namjoon searched for your hand and pulled you closer to his side. He would hear snippets of the conversations around the group. Skinship was looked down upon in the royal court, especially from the older generation. They couldn't believe that the oldest Kim son would disobey his parents, run away, and now marry a woman with no status. It would bring shame to the family and they were excited for its downfall. Namjoon kept his head straight, though he was glad his family wasn't invited. He has enough to deal with tonight. And his number one priority is walking beside him.

He leaned over and whispered, "I think you're the prettiest girl here."

His hot breath went down your neck, you nudged him away with your elbow. "Thank you, but it's just the dress."

"It's definitely part of it," he hummed, "But you'd be pretty without it too."

Without it, you repeated. The colors rose to your cheeks when you comprehended the meaning. Beside you, Namjoon laughed out of amusement. "You pervert,"

"I'm just trying to lighten the mood," he said. "I'm sure everything is overwhelming right now."

You nodded. On the car ride over, while trying to sit comfortably in the ballgown, Yoongi laid out the plan for tonight. The main focus would be to stay alive and out of trouble. But you needed to know more about your past and about the history of Deflectors. Yoongi said everything would be stored in the royal archive just down the hall from the ballroom. It's usually heavily guarded at all times, so he would accompany you for that trip. Although Namjoon was annoyed by the fact that he wouldn't be the one who gets to stay with you, he had to let it go since Yoongi is the prince after all and had more capabilities than Namjoon cared to admit. And he had a hunch that his sister was up to something sadistic. He prayed that tonight would prove him wrong.

The orchestra stopped and the spotlight landed on top of the grand staircase. The audience turned their attention to the approaching figure. Namjoon pulled you to his side and took a deep breath. Her magenta gown flooded the steps like an ocean with wine, or blood. Her lips were painted the same color and her hair pinned up to draw attention to her neck and slim face. There wasn't a man in the room that wasn't captured by the Queen's beauty, or so she thought. Her eyes wandered to the peasants below and caught the sight of Namjoon keeping his gaze towards you. It made her rage, there was nothing outstanding about you from what she observed. She was sure she was the most beautiful and desirable woman in all of the worlds. A fire grew within her.

"Thank you all for coming tonight," she declared, her voice smooth as the night. "Tonight is a celebration for our thriving city and resilient people. None of this would be possible without them. Let's celebrate in their honor."

You could hear Yoongi's quiet groan. "If this was for the people, then we should have given them money instead."

"This is nothing more than a celebration for the filthy rich to indulge themselves even more," Seokjin added.

"It makes me feel sick to be here," Jungkook said, holding his stomach.

Jimin concoled, "I'm pretty sure that was all of the bananas you ate earlier."

"But he has a point," Hosseok agreed. "This is such a twisted show."

Namjoon frowned, "Keep your head up, we're here on a mission." The Queen finished her descent of the stairs and was beginning her route to greet everyone. But her mind was already set on one particular magician. "Let's spread out until Yoongi gives the signal." The group dispersed and the music picked up again. Namjoon smiled to himself and held out his hand. "Would you do me the honor of dancing with me?"

"I don't know how," you answered quietly.

"I don't either," he winked. "We can just sway to the music." He led you to the dance floor, where other couples have already occupied. You placed your hand on his shoulder and the other in his grasp. You followed his footsteps, trying your best to not step on him with your sneakers. "When I was younger, the maid I told you about would try to teach me to dance."

"She would be disappointed in you now,"

He laughed under his breath, "But I think she would be proud that I found someone who makes me so happy."

"You think she would like me?"

"Well, I'll always be her favorite, but you would be a close third."

"Third?"

"She's a big fan of Seokjin," he answered. "Similar to now, he's polite, organized, and a good cook. Not to mention, he was handsome from the start."

"Why do you sound like you have a crush on him?"

"It's because I do,' he shrugged. "I used to think about how we would grow old together on a farm somewhere in Etherio."

"That sounds very romantic, I hope it works out for you."

He rolled his eyes and planted a kiss on your forehead. "I only want that with you now."

"You want a farm?"

"I want a simpler life, and someone to dedicate my life to." As his body swayed, his smile faded. You figured out why soon enough after he let go of your hand. The flood approached. The two of you bowed to greet her.

"May I?" she asked. It wasn't really a question, Namjoon nodded hesitantly as he grabbed her hand. He sent you a reassuring wink before leaving. Yoongi found his way to your side. 

"Let's go."

The boys planted themselves throughout the ballroom and watched the two of you exit through the side door. They would keep watch and interfere if anything goes wrong. But with the Queen completely occupied with Namjoon, they imagine nothing would go wrong on the dance floor unless Namjoon steps on her.