Chapter 31

The chain rattled, waking you up from your forced slumber. When you came to, it took a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to the lack of light. The cold underneath you was cold and rough but luckily the wedding dress you still had on kept your skin safe. The chain weighed your hands and feet down, you weren't going anywhere. But to add to the horror of the place, the dungeon was deep underground and you were on a lone pillar in the middle of vacant space. One wrong move and you would fall to your death.

Looking around through the spare light from lacrimas, you saw that you were not alone. And it made a lot of sense while the light source was not fire. Other pillars sprouted around you and on top of each of them were the other boys, also with their hands and feet bound. Their faces were marked with bruises and dried-up blood. Half of them were unconscious. Some of them stared at you, unable to say anything at all. Is everyone okay? you thought. Jimin managed to give a slight nod as an answer.

Just then, a heavy door creaked somewhere. A flood of outside light rummaged through the dark dungeon, but it was gone just as quickly as it came. Even in your weakened state, you could still feel the daunting magical aura approaching. Three figures appeared on the edge of the clip, just meters away from where your pillar was. You pushed yourself up to get a closer look at them. Taehyung! He stood behind the couple, observing from the sideline. His curls fell over his face. He looked like the same doctor you fawned over what felt like ages ago. You didn't know what he was doing there but you could make an educated guess. The Queen smiled in delight as she watched you struggle with your chains. How the sound of it clawing at your skin satisfied her soul. But nothing compared to the look on your face when you saw your beloved Namjoon in her arms and looking at her with the tenderness you thought he reserved just for you.

It was unbearable to see him next to her, with no space in between their bodies. "Namjoon," you yelled, "Snap out of it! She's controlling you."

Namjoon glanced up at you with no care in the world, "I don't know what you're talking about," he said. "I've always loved her." You heard Jimin tapping his finger on the chain. He did it occasionally when you were with the boys back at the house. It was nearly impossible to play any games with him because he could read the player's next move or read their true thoughts. Yoongi mentioned once that Jimin can look past magic to read thoughts. That's how he's able to read your thoughts despite your magic deflecting all of the other magic. And it meant that right now, he can read Namjoon's true thoughts outside of the Queen's control over him. Hearing the tap gave you hope that he was still in there and that he could hear you.

"I know that's not true," you argued. "I know that you don't love her."

"You don't know anything about me!" he boomed. "You are an insignificant person in my life." Another tap. 

"We might not have known each other for long, but I know a lot about you. I know you don't like seafood, I know you like small cute things. I know you like riding bikes over cars. You like reading complicated books that I'll never understand. You're insecure about everything, even though you don't need to be because you're the best person I know. And I know you've never felt this way before until you met me."

"I didn't mean that, I only said it so that you would trust me," he remarked. "Why would I love a criminal? Why would I choose someone with no status and money over a Queen who could give me all the fame and fortune I want."

Tap. 

"You don't want any of that," you pressed on. "You want a farmhouse somewhere and a quiet life. You don't want to be like your parents because they're just as selfish as she is."

"Shut up!" he roared, "I told you before to never speak ill of her. This is the woman I love and I will marry her tonight. Nothing can stop us from being together."

You moved closer to the ledge of the pillar, hoping that the proximity might trigger something in him. Maybe if he sees you better, he'll snap out of it somehow. But nothing. Her control was too strong. "I will get out of here and I will save you. I promise."

"I don't need such a foolish promise," he spat. "And how do you intend on getting out when I am here to kill you?"

His words made your heart stop and your mouth dry. You looked at Jimin but even he couldn't make out the true meaning of Namjoon's words. "What?"

"Oh Joonie, you weren't supposed to spoil the surprise!" the Queen chimed in. Her horrid laughter echoed through the chamber, it was endless. "Well, the cat's out of the bag. You will be dead by the end of the night."

"Wait, you're going to kill her?" Taehyung asked. His lips parted, waiting patiently for the Queen's response. She seemed to have forgotten that he was there and was annoyed that he interrupted her moment.

"Naturally," she answered. "I'll have to kill her to harvest her power for my machines."

"But you told me she would live, you promised me!"

"I'll find you a better girl. And when you get to keep your magic over everyone else, no one can dare say no to you." She turned her attention back to Namjoon. Her eyes glowed and so did his. "Kill her, and come see me when you're done."

"Of course, my Queen," he pulled her hand up to his lips, planted a kiss, and watched her walk away.

She paused in front of Taehyug, "Make sure he kills her."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Taehyung answered with a bow.

The ground shook, and your pillar moved toward where he was standing. When it touched the platform where he was standing, he took no time to hop on. You finally noticed the sword dangling from his side. Even without mastering swordsmanship, in your current state, he could take an easy swing to end your life.

"Namjoon, please!" you begged. "Snap out of it, this isn't you!"

He continued to walk towards you with the sword raised. As he loomed over your body, you heard the boys screaming all around. He made a note to not look at Yoongi, otherwise, the prince could potentially take over his sister's control. The sword came down, a final tear left your eye.