Chapter 35

Namjoon watched the King address his subject. He nodded fondly at the promises he made and that he would keep. Ever since Namjoon met him back at the academy, he always knew he was destined to be a king. "And with that, I will lead you to an era of peace and balance with the other realms."

"All hail King Yoongi!" Jimin cheered from the sideline. Yoongi casted a glare and the other boy stuck out his tongue. No title could change their relationship. Confetti fell from the sky as the people below celebrated their new king. They were ready to embrace the sudden switch of power. The former Queen exploited workers and demanded high tax to fund her elaborate parties. They had always been afraid of her power to speak up. Although her brother inherited the same power, he vowed to never let his magic influence his time on the throne. Namjoon had no doubt Etherio would prosper under Yoongi's rule, but still, he couldn't put on a smile. Without anyone noticing, he left the coronation party.

There was only one place he wanted to be and anyone asked almost always found him there ever since that day. He walked the familiar path through the long corridors. He was glad Yoongi replaced the portraits and busts of his sister with something more flattering to look at. The door came into view. He knocked out of habit, despite knowing no one would answer it. When he entered, his eyes immediately landed on the bed. He waltzed over and sat on the side. He swept the hair out of your eyes and placed a kiss on your forehead. "Yoongi is King now," he spoke gently. "Can you believe it? Yeah, I can't either. But there's no one else better for the position than him. You know, you should wake up soon. He wants to thank you for what you did that day. And the boys miss you a lot. I know Jungkook turns into a little puppy sometimes to cuddle up beside you. Lucky bastard. Taehyung asks about you a lot too, he went back to the human world to continue the vet business. He said for you to visit." he chuckled. It was to mask the burning tears forming behind his eyes.

When the machine was destroyed, Namjoon thought it was the end of it. But it quickly turned into his Hell. Your shield was used to contain the machine's evil purpose but consequently, you had used all of your magic to do it. It caused you to fall into a coma. No doctor in all of the realms could wake you up or predict when or if you would ever wake up. Namjoon threatened every last one of them to make them feel better. He begged them to take away his money and his magic if they could save you. The boys watched from the sideline as the Magician broke down by your bedside. No matter how much he called out to you while you were in that shield, you were so absorbed in stopping the machine to hear him. In his heart, he knew it was his fault. He shouldn't have let you run off like that, or he should have gotten to you sooner. It took days of convincing for him to eat and move around. A month went by and he was still like a corpse.

He grabbed your hand and pressed it against his lips, "Please wake up, my Y/N. Please. I need to hear your voice, I need to hear you say my name and tell me that dinner's ready or that you hate how I did my hair. There's so much more we need to do together. The garden is a mess without you, I'm a mess without you." Speaking of the garden, he glanced over at the flowers at your bedside. They were already wilting. He could always make them appear nicer, but since he wanted only the best for you when you wake up, he decided to head outside to pick fresh ones.

Although the trip to the garden wasn't particularly long, Namjoon felt it dragging on forever. There was a nagging feeling in his chest and it escalated as he got closer to your door. He could feel another magical presence. His pace quickened and so did his heartbeat. The wind was knocked out of him when he saw that you were, in fact, not alone in the room. Sitting beside you where he was earlier was an old woman. Her platinum hair tied back into a low bun. Her slender frame showed no sign of decaying but the wrinkles around her eyes and mouth betrayed her age. Namjoon couldn't bring himself to get angry, even though he forbade anyone outside of the group to enter the room. In fact, he started crying.

She turned around, "I hope you haven't forgotten about me."

"Where have you been this whole time?" he asked, taking a step closer to the only person in his childhood that actually cared about him. "I've looked for you everywhere."

"Well, I told you I was looking for my granddaughter," she answered.

"And did you find her?"

The old lady smiled and patted your hand, "Yes, right here."

Namjoon gasped. He never imagined the person who took care of him when he was younger would have an even closer link to him. "Y/N is your granddaughter?"

The woman nodded, "I'm glad I finally found her. And I'm glad that she finally found you. I told myself a long time ago I would introduce the two of you one day, but you beat me to it. She's wonderful, isn't she?"

"Yes," Namjoon agreed. "She's the best thing that ever happened to me. I just wish I could tell her that."

She took a deep breath. "You are a brilliant young man. You always treated me well even though I was just a lowly maid."

"Don't say that," Namjoon said.

"Please take care of my granddaughter from now on. Do what I couldn't."

"What are you-"

"I'm sure you could guess by now, I'm a Deflector too. Y/N can take away magic, and I can give it back."

"Give back?"

"That might be a bit misleading, I can transfer magic," she corrected. "Y/N is in a state of cocoon right now. Her magic has been completely depleted when she destroyed the machine. I can give her my magic, therefore, restoring her life force. She might not fully have her magic like before, but at least she'll live."

"If you do that, you'll die."

She shrugged, "I've lived a long life. I couldn't protect her like I promised her parents. This is the only thing I can do for her now. You have to let me."

Namjon's tears were uncontrollable. "I can't let you do that," he cried out. "Y/N wouldn't want you to do this either. You're the only family she has."

She shook her head, "She has you now, and everyone else. She'll live a happy life, you can guarantee that for me, right?"

He nodded, "Of course, but still,"

"It's okay," she smiled. She turned back to you, both hands on your stomach. Namjoon watched the familiar glow emitted from both your bodies. The next second, you bolted up and she vanished. There were tears in your eyes.

"Y/N!" Namjoon rushed over to help you up. "Your grandmother-"

"I know," you whispered. "I felt it."

He pulled you close to his chest and comforted you while you cried. The tears soaked his chest but all he could think about was how happy he is that you were alive and in his arms. I'll give her a good life, I promise.