Chapter 5

Dr. Kim stared softly at the kitten he was holding. The two of them locked eyes. The kitten purred and the doctor nodded in response. It could have been the lack of sleep, but you swore you heard him purring back. Stranger things have happened recently. You tried not to think about Namjoon and the alleyway, all of which lead to a dead end. A few weeks have passed since his little talk on the rooftop and as he demanded, you stayed far away from him. Even when he was deliberately tripped by the school's bullies, you stayed in your seat. As he wished. You stored the events in the back of your mind as some sort of strange dream.

"Y/N, are you okay?" Dr. Kim asked. Apparently, some time had passed since you last stared at him. He had already given the kitten back to its owner and finished the paperwork himself. "You seem out of it today, even more than usual."

"Oh, sorry," you blushed. "I think I'm just a bit overwhelmed right now."

He clicked his pen closed after signing some piece of paper. "Is something going on at school?"

You sighed, "Kind of."

"Is it a boy?"

"Kind of," you said again. There was no way you could tell the handsome doctor what was happening at school. Not only was it crazy and he might not believe you, but Namjoon wouldn't want you to tell anyone. You made a promise you wouldn't anyway.

He pressed his lips together in a straight line. "Why don't you go home for today?"

You shook your head, "Oh, no, I'm fine."

"Go home, Y/N," he ordered. He looked at his watch. It was close to 4. "There's only a couple of hours left and a few clients, we can handle it from here. Go home and get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yes, Dr. Kim." You gave him a formal and apologetic bow before leaving the office. He frowned, a strange sensation crawling over him. The patients around him whined unanimously. It felt like something just escaped. He felt uneasy about letting you walk home in this condition but he felt assured that you wouldn't be alone.

The sky was already quite dark for the late afternoon. A gust of wind picked up, spinning your school uniform. Today you took a different path home. A change in scenery was nice and also, and you wanted to stop by the cafe to grab some coffee. There was a major exam coming at the end of the week and if you were going to pass it, you need to stay up studying tonight. The atmosphere of the cafe felt off. Patrons and employees alike gazed off into the air. The cashier said nothing as you ordered. She mechanically handed you the drink and stood still. It wasn't what you ordered but you had a feeling they wouldn't fix anything. The outlandish atmosphere continued the rest of the way home. Everyone you walked past looked as though they were somewhere else. They walked aimlessly into trees, walls, and each other. You kept your distance and picked up your pace.

Just then you saw it. A light flickered, and its shadow moved. You blinked, imagining that it was just a trick of the eye. But the shadow moved forward, picking up its speed. Your heart began pounding. The shadow grew bigger and you felt your hope draining. When it split up into multiple fragments, you ran. The road home stretched on as if time and reality were morphed. As you ran through the street, no one else seemed phased by what was happening. Just like the people at the cafe, those who walked on the street didn't have any destination.

When you got onto that familiar road, the alleyway was in sight. Namjoon must be around. Foolishly, you hoped that he would save you. Whatever he is might be able to defend you with whatever monsters are chasing after you. But around the corner, you didn't see him or anyone. One thing was different. The wall where he stood in front of that day. A black hole hung on it, it resembled a vortex. The shadows appeared at the end of the alleyway, the entrance, and the sides. You were surrounded. The vortex was beginning to close. With no other option, you closed your eyes and jumped in.

The vortex was cold and you were free-falling. When you opened your eyes, you saw the light coming from where you jumped from. All around you, little lights twinkled. For a moment, you felt at ease. But the shadows also jumped. You pushed your body weight down, thinking it might help you fall more quickly. You landed hard on your back. It seemed that you somehow fell back into the alleyway or an alleyway somewhere. There was no time to think. Against your wishes, the chase wasn't over. The shadows emerged from the closing vortex and came right at you. You picked yourself up and ran once again.

Out in the open street, one thing became clear; you were not in your town anymore. Wherever this place had a red moon and horses with wings. You heard music coming from somewhere and suddenly, the streets were filled with pedestrians. Looking up, you gasped. A line of what looked to be tiny flying figures lit up the path with glitter coming from their wings. The dust fell on you. It resembled crushed-up gold, or sunlight in the way it was glowing. All around, people wore face masks. The type that you picture would be more appropriate at a masquerade. It was the same for their clothing. Men wore long coats and tight pants while women adorn themselves in long puffy dresses and tight corsets. Maybe you hit your head from the fall and were dreaming of a Renaissance festival. A few figures turned their head to look at you, but the shadows were a bigger concern than their approval or lack thereof.

You pushed your way through the crowd, who didn't seem to be bothered by the shadows slithering below their feet. The unfamiliar streets offered no consolation. Every corner yielded a dead end and no door would open, no matter how hard you yanked. There was nowhere left to run. Your back was pressed into a cold, hard wall. The shadows appeared at the end of the street. Despite not having any facial features, you felt them smirking as they got closer. They morphed back into one gigantic blob. It hovered over you, taking your breath away. A scream escaped your mouth as you braced for your imminent death.