Chapter 20

It was weird having him around during the day. But since it was winter break in the human world, he was bound to school. Etherio didn't have regular seasons like the other world. Though it was starting to get a lot cooler. Regardless, it was the warmest it had ever been at the cottage. The boys came over regularly for dinner. Sometimes Jungkook would come over to help you spar and Seokjin would stop by to drop off food or show you a few recipes. Namjoon was a constant, aside from the times he had a show in the city. On some occasions during dinner, he would show off some tricks. The purple flower in your bed hasn't disappeared yet, luckily.

He was waiting for you in the kitchen. A cup of coffee in his hand and a newspaper in the other. His eyes landed on you and he cracked a smile. "Good morning," he greeted. "Are you ready to go?"

"Go?"

Namjoon cocked his head to the side in a mischievous manner. "Did you forget our plans for today?"

Just then, the conversation from last night at dinner came back to mind. Since you've been here for more than a month and the city felt like it had calmed down a bit, Namjoon thought you might want to explore the city a little bit with him. He felt bad for keeping you here with nothing to do except the usual chores you do every day. With a snap of his finger, an ankle-length floral dress appeared on your body. It hugged your body just right. You admired the needlework while Namjoon watched the excitement on your face. "It's beautiful," you beamed.

"I knew you would like it, I got it for you the other day."

You looked down at the dress, it was something you've only ever seen in movies. He got your measurement right and everything. Maybe that explains why he had been staring at you for the last few days. "Thank you, you didn't have to."

"It's payment for taking care of the house," he shrugged. Sometimes while you were admiring your own dress, he had also changed his clothes. The flowers embroidered on his collar and the sleeves of his shirt matched with the design on your dress. He didn't notice at first, but when he did, you saw his cheeks turning a bit rosy. He looked away. "It's normal for a couple to match, right?"

"Right." You had forgotten that you were supposed to be engaged to him. Somehow it slipped your mind but the ring should have been an obvious reminder. It didn't feel tight around your finger and yet when you try taking it off for a shower or just to do some cleaning, it wouldn't bulge. You tried everything from oil to lotion to even Jungkook's brute force, but only your finger felt like it would come off. You'll just have to ask him about it later.

Namjoon waited outside in the car. The drive was much quicker this time since you know where the destination would be. The fear of being caught and dying still lingered, but right now was the safest you felt in a long time. The city's wall rose up in the distance like a mountain. Or a castle in the sky. You didn't even know where to begin once Namjoon parked the car. Rows of stores and vendors lined on either side of the street. Unlike the night when you stumbled into the portal, the streets weren't crowded and everything was open. By reading about the history of Etherio, you familiarize yourself with all of the creatures that live alongside magic users so there was no need for Namjoon to shield you from things with wings and horns. He still did it nonetheless.

"Anything you want to see in particular?" he asked.

"I read about a potion shop, and a nursery with flowers that sing lullabies, and a dessert shop with the sweetest strawberries!"

With a chuckle, Namjoon nodded, "Alright, I guess we have a plan." Such enthusiasm didn't prepare him for how many bags he would be holding by the end of the day, but it didn't dimmer his smile. In fact, it made him quite happy to see you being yourself. You mainly bought things for the house and for the other boys. He had been worrying all night about someone recognizing your power and taking you away but his concealing magic was doing a good job of hiding your magic.

The sun was beginning its usual descent behind the far mountains. "We should go back to your house now so I'll have enough time to make dinner."

Namjoon slowed his pace and looked at you, "Why did you say it like that?"

"Like what?"

"It's your house too now," he corrected. "You live there, don't you?"

A relieved chuckle left your mouth, "Well I guess you're right."

"But actually, we're not going home quite yet. There's someone I want you to meet." He walked away before you could ask who. Most likely another one of his friends. Despite his quiet demeanor, Namjoon has a way of attracting people to him. The two of you walked towards a more suburban area. Near the end of the deserted row was a mansion. The gate swung open as soon as Namjoon stepped up to it. He walked up the door confidently as the guards gave him a polite bow. He searched for your hand and held it as you went inside. It sent a warmth through your body that made you feel more at ease. The maid led the two of you to the secluded garden. There, a young boy waited.

"Hyung," he exclaimed, jumping out of his seat. The maids behind him gave a frown as he knocked his plate of food over but they were happy he was having company.

"Hey little guy," Namjoon laughed. "Did you miss me?"

The boy nodded aggressively, he couldn't be more than 12. "Yes, of course! I'm glad you're visiting."

"I promised I would bring you something amazing, didn't I?" Namjoon gently pulled you forward. "Soobin, this is Y/N, my fiance."

It was still weird and strangely delightful every time he introduced you. "Hello, it's nice to meet you."

Soobin bowed, then grabbed your hand and kissed it. You let out a gasp and even Namjoon looked like he was in awe. "The pleasure is all mine," he replied, sending a clumsy wink your way.

The magician tugged you back behind him and cleared his throat, "Anyway, I promised I would find you a music teacher, and here she is."

Your mouth fell open. "What?" It had been years since you last looked at a music sheet or even picked up an instrument. "I don't think I can be a teacher."

"Don't be silly, you used to play the violin really well," he assured. His smile sent shockwaves through your body. You could feel the tears rising. No one had ever complimented you on your music before. Not even the fake parents. "And I know you're bored being at home all day. This way, you'll have something to do and I know you'll be safe." He then turned his attention back to Soobin, "You little brat, if you do anything weird to her, I will hurt you."

The young boy laughed awkwardly, it had a little sprinkle of fear. "O-okay hyung."

On the drive back home, you couldn't get rid of your smile. The things you saw, heard, experienced solidified the fact that you weren't alone. And hopefully, you never will be again. "Oh, I forgot," you dug something out of your bag. "Here."
He observed the object in your hand and grabbed it lightly. He put it over his face and watched you laugh. "Did you get this for my show?"

"Yup," you nodded. "I figured you could use a new mask. And this one looks cooler."

He scoffed, it did look cooler than the one he made for himself years ago. Normally. He would hate to have anyone change anything about the way he does things. But with you, he couldn't wait for unexpected things to unravel. Guess it was time to retire that old mask.