Chapter 18, Part 1

“Alpha Mine”

2012 Copyright © All Rights Reserved

Edited By: LadyDawn

Chapter 18

Rafe slid back into the driver seat of his car and slammed the door hard behind him. “Damn it!” he cursed, banging his fist against the steering wheel. Where is she? Where the hell could they have they taken her?

For two days he’d hunted in both his wolf form and as his human self. He looked everywhere he could possibly think of for both Adam and Dava. He went back to the accident site, scoured the surrounding towns and talked with several of the other local Alpha’s. Every time that he was able to get a bead on them he would follow it only to run into yet another dead end. It was like they never existed, they just disappeared into thin air.

And that wasn’t possible. He’d held her bloodied, broken body in his arms. Rafe still carried her scent on his shirt, her blood on his hands. He knew she was there, she just didn’t know where she was.

In the condition she was in, they couldn’t have gone far. Even with her heightened abilities to heal due to her werewolf nature, her injuries had been so severe that they still needed professional medical attention. If Adam did decided to share his powerful alpha blood with her, it would only get her so far.

Rafe curled his lip up and snarled. The disturbing image of Adam offering Dava his blood ignited a white hot rage in his wolf.

He was Dava’s true mate, not Adam. He should have been the one to offer up his blood to help her heal. He should have been the one caring for her now, not his ungrateful whelp.

The Moon Goddess had selected him first, damn it! Like it or not, Dava belonged to him.

It was unfortunate that it took him almost losing her to realize just how precious having a true mate really was. He cared for Tayla, he really did but Dava was designed for him. She was his other half, his heart–the one person in this screwed up world that could complete his tortured soul.

And now–she was gone. He couldn’t seem to find her anywhere.

Rafe knew that he was in for the race of his life trying to get to her before Adam did the unthinkable. He saw the way that his son had looked at his mate when he picked her up in his arms and ran with her. He wasn’t naïve enough to realize what might happen. The boy may be fool enough to try and claim her.

Son of his blood, or not, that would be his first and his last mistake. Under no circumstances could he allow Adam to mate with his innocent Dava.

In the beginning, Rafe may have had his own reservations about claiming the girl for himself, but not now, not anymore. He understood perfectly well what he chanced to lose if he didn’t find her soon.

He just hoped like hell that he would be able to find her before it was too late. It was bad enough that he didn’t know where she was or how she was doing. The not knowing was driving his wolf precariously to the edge of losing all control.

He hadn’t eaten, he hadn’t showered, he hadn’t slept, and all he could do was think about his Dava. He’d blocked Tayla out of his mind link, refused to return home. He couldn’t focus on pack politics or anything else for that matter until he found Dava and brought her back home, his home, where she rightfully belongs.

Pulling his key out, he jabbed it into the ignition and turned it over. He pushed away the heavy exhaustion that was weighing down on him and forced himself to focus. There was only one other place he could think of to check.

The Browner Pack.

They were a small, solitary pack that stayed off the political radar so to speak. They didn’t want to join in with the larger Packs for fear that they would be taken over. Most of the larger surrounding Packs didn’t see them as a threat and pretty much just left them alone as long as they remained a non-threat.

Rafe didn’t know why he hadn’t thought of them before. It would ideally be the perfect place for Adam to go for help. They maybe a solitary pack and shy away from the grand scheme of pack politics but they weren’t cruel. They wouldn’t refuse help to a young, injured female wolf.

With a destination in mind, he threw the gear shifter into reverse and speedily spun out of the parking lot. He felt the familiar tingle in the back of his head where Tayla tried to reach him yet again. Clenching his jaw, he pressed his foot to the pedal; he slammed the wall down on their connection.

He had a good feeling this time, a really good feeling that this was it. The Browner Pack was where he would find his sweet Dava and when he found her he would do what he should have done years ago–he would finally stake his claim.

Rafe had been on the road no more than fifteen minutes when he felt it. It felt like his heart was being physically ripped out of his chest. The pain struck so fast, so hard that he swerved off to the side and sent the car into an uncontrollable skid.

Releasing the wheel, he clutched his chest, struggling to catch breath. In a matter of seconds his life flashed before his eyes, mating Tayla, the birth of his son, discovering Dava and all the year he fought the inevitable. It all seemed so petty now.

The car lurched forward, slamming front end first into something solid that didn’t budge. The sound of glass shattering all around him, the feel of the seat belt cutting into his chest, the jar of his forehead against the steering wheel… all of this was meaningless now.

Chaos turned to quiet.

There wasn't any sound, not even the chirp of a wayward bird.

Rafe slumped tiredly back into his seat and helplessly watched tendrils of gray smoke curl and twist from under the hood of his car.

He was too late.

The damage had been done.

He knew instantly what had happened. Adam, his one and only son, just claimed his mate in a ritual as old as time itself.

The small bond he had with Dava was now forever broken.

The injury to his head was nothing compared to the aching empty hollowness he was currently feeling in his chest. That pain was so excruciatingly unbearable. He couldn’t breathe, he couldn’t think… right then, he wasn’t even sure he wanted to live.

The edges of unconsciousness started to close in on him. Rafe desperately welcomed it, even begged for it to take him until it finally the unrelenting darkness answered his request and he blessedly felt absolutely nothing anymore.

A/N** Part 2 coming later today.....