Burning Lungs

cw; drowning but no death

p.o.v. Kazuha

It's been several weeks since the incident with Tomo, it hurt that I couldn't stop him from facing the Raiden Shogun. But there's no undoing it now, and I still had my own skin to save. I asked in a small town up the road from Ritou, if I Could spend the night in one of their huts, thankfully an elder male who was still up at the time I got there let me spend the night. It wasn't much but I never asked for more than what I had.

My tent was left during a battle with the guards, they had called for back up from their nearby camp so I escaped without any of my supplies, thankfully the lavender melons were in season so a lot of the tree's had some spair when I passed them off-road.

Not a day went by when I didn't think about what Zuchi would be up to at that moment, I heard some Fatui agents mention something going on in Shneznaya so worry bit me soon enough.

One particular morning I just got up, left a small thank-you note on the table of yet another house I staid at and rushed out the house, down to the docks, wearing a straw hat that covered most of my face, and more importantly the red strand of hair that made me easily noticable.

I tried my best to conceal any unwanted attention, but when another guard asked for my papers and I just stayed quiet he ripped off my hat and seconds later I had already drawn my blade again, noticing the rest of the guards around Ritou made their way to the docks after hearing the head of command shout out to them.

Almost momentarily it started storming like crazy, my feet froze in their place, I knew one wrong step on these newly wet tiles and I could break my ankle or worse- but I didn't even want to think of it. I started running, sheathing my blade back and just heading towards the ships, hoping anyone would help. Sadly for me though some fisherman unloaded some of their supplies, not paying attention to where they're going at all.

"Ey' do you got any idea on what's wrong with the- ugh-"

He collapsed right into my side, causing me to fall off the wooden way to freedom.

Moments later a lightning strook the waters on the other side of the island, yet still enough for my body to go numb for longer than it should have.

I tried reaching out to the surface, I wanted to keep going, I wanted to see him again.

After another stunned silence a hand from above reached out down to me, was it him?

It took all my leftover strength but I managed to move my arm upwards and held onto dear life on what I had hoped to be my childhood friend-

I coughed out the amounts of water that had stirred up in my lungs, vision still not clear, brain still fuzzy.

"Zuchi, is that you?" I mumbled after Turing around to my savor.

"Nope buddy, the name's Beidou."
A brunette woman smiled down at me, since she was quite tall and I was sitting there hunched over, still very much coughing.

"T-Thank *cough* you-"
I managed out, though I couldn't quite catch her name, it was a strange one, maybe that's why.

"You know, I highly doupt that out here is very save for someone who just ran away from the vision hunt decree, come with me"

I hesitated but she was right, I needed to get out of here.

So I took the opportunity. I owe her my life.

My dear friend, Kunikuzuchi.

I can't wait to see you again, and ask you the question that had built itself in my mind over the past months.