Chapter 17: Coffee House Confrontation

Who likes the new cover :)

******************************************

Recap chap 16:

I screwed my professor on my birthday, while I was drunk and off of my birth control for months, and I’m pretty sure he didn’t use a condom. Why didn't I realize this sooner? I am so fucked!

“I need Alec.” I barely mumbled those three words. The quivering was staring to go into overdrive and I didn’t think I would stay conscious for too much longer.

What have I done and what am I going to do now?

******************************************

Chapter 17: Coffee House Confrontation

I swallowed the water and washed the remnants of the bitter pill down my throat. I sat up slowly, feeling calm and under control. Thank God for Alec. He had taken to carrying my medication with him in the event of another episode. That was the third one in so many weeks. It was the best idea Alec ever had. Since he barely let me out of his sight, he kept my pills with him so he could help me secretly.

I knew he didn’t agree with the fact that I kept this from Nash, but if he knew why I did, he may have thought differently. Alec approached me, stepping in between my legs as I sat near the edge of the exam table wrapped in a sheet. The look on his face told me he was scared, worried and I can’t say that I blamed him. My anxiety attacks were coming back with a vengeance and this can’t be good for me, or the baby.

“Are you okay?” He asked quietly while searching my eyes. His brown hair was disheveled as if he’d raked his hands through it nervously. The casual jeans and red tee shirt he wore was pristinely in place. The only sign of his distress was his messy hair and the look plastered on his face.

“I’m fine Alec. Thank you, again.” I stated, and I meant it. Without him I would be facing this alone and it would be that much harder to keep this from Nash.

“Jade, you’re pregnant.” It was both a question and a statement. The kind that says ‘damn, you’re screwed’ but at the same time asks ‘are you sure about this’. 

“So they tell me.” I responded hopelessly.

This was my worst nightmare. I didn’t want this, it was too painful. The memories it brought back made me bite back the tears that stung my eyes and swallow the lump of anxiety in my throat. Not to mention the fact that the man that put me in this situation was married, and my professor.

Now he was trapped, just like I was, in a circumstance that was awful to say the least. How do you tell your non-boyfriend teacher who you just pseudo-broke up with a few weeks ago that you are pregnant? How awkward is that discussion?

“You don’t believe them?” He questioned, astonished at my answer. His blue eyes shined with questions, but they were not the same blue eyes I longed to look into. As a matter of fact, I wasn’t sure if or when I wanted to peer into them at all. It would only have brought more hurt and problems down on me.

“It’s not that I don’t believe them, it’s just that I don’t want to be.” I replied as sorrowful thoughts filled me and I gave him a sad smile. It was the only gesture my tortured heart could muster.