Chapter 38: Black Ops

To a wondeful and loyal fan!

Sorry for the wait my lovelies. As always, read, comment, vote & enjoy!

***********************************

Recap Chap 37:

***********************************

Chapter 38: Black Ops

"Sometimes you make absolutely no sense babycakes! You're crazy, you know that right?" Mira exclaimed, looking at me with wild eyes that spoke volumes about how insane she considered my plan. She stood up hastily and took the forms from the donor who sat across the table we'd set up in the cafeteria to sign up bone marrow donors and do DNA swabs to test for possible matches for Carver.

"This time, I'd have to agree J." Alec concurred with a quiet mumble, in the whipped fashion that I was swiftly growing accustomed to with him.

Ever since he got serious with Mira, he seemed to have gone soft in some areas. Mainly, it arose in disagreements between her and I, which I understood. I knew that he loved her but what I needed from him as a friend and guard, was the gung-ho attitude that he had learned from being a trained CIA operative, not one of a soft, love struck wuss who was afraid to stand up to his girlfriend for fear of being cut off.

"It was your freaking idea Alec! Are kidding me right now? We go ahead as scheduled." I replied adamantly, staring him down just as the college nurse administered the DNA mouth swab to a donor and packaged it to be sent for testing.

"She has a point bro. It was your idea to pull off this sting operation to bring Soren down, so why back out now? It's a solid plan." Nash chimed in casually and I was grateful for his backup. He didn't always agree with my methods and decisions, but he always supported them.

"It's not the plan I have fault with, it's the timing that's less than acceptable. What's the rush? Why today J? Can't we wait for more backup? There's so much distraction today." Alec asked with a sigh. I knew that it would be difficult, especially when the Winter Carnival was going on at the college, but that made it seem like a more random encounter. Soren wouldn't suspect that I'd try to entrap him and put myself in harm's way at such a crowded and low security event.

I could see Alec's frustration and I comprehended it, but the matter was a moot point. I had to follow through with the plan while I had the courage and backup, before my common sense convinced me that being alone with Soren for any length of time was a bad and potentially deadly idea. It was going to be today, or never. I needed to be free of him once and for all and I wasn't prepared to wait another day.

"It's now or never. Besides, it's a great cover story. Stop wussing out Alec. We stick to the plan, end of discussion." I was adamant and not willing to back down this time. A fire was burning in me that couldn't be extinguished. It was representative of my fierce fight for survival and that of the necessity to protect my unborn child.

"You know what I mean. This is ludicrous damn it. There is too much going on to keep proper watch over you, especially with the crowd at the carnival and the bone marrow drive all happening today. I'm only thinking of your safety J." He responded with a hint of defeat in his tone. He advocated for my safety, as he always did, but I think he finally realized it was a lost cause.