Chapter 30: What's Done is Done

Sorry for the terribly long wait. I hope it was worth it. Thanks for your undestanding.

 and this is unedited so if it has typos Im so sorry!...  don't forget to comment & vote if you like it :P

***************************************************

Recap: chap 29

Just after the police freed Mira and April from the torture device that bound them so closely to death, the paramedics loaded them on to their gurneys and prepared them for transport to the hospital. I felt my heart wavering and weakening more than it ever had before. I felt so fragile and tired. I just wanted this misery and torment to end.

Not a moment later, my eyes closed involuntarily and the only thing that I was met with was the loneliness of darkness.

****************************************************

Chapter 30: What’s Done is Done

My mind was muddled and everything was dark and hazy, like looking through layers of thick fog. I didn't know where I was, or why I was there, let alone who I was. It was so confusing. Everything was a blur of sounds and images that flashed relentlessly in my head. It was like watching a movie in fast forward. You could sort of see what was happening but not really enough to understand. It left me feeling confused and alone and that just made everything worse.

After a few panicked minutes, I realized it must be a dream, one that I needed to wake myself from. I struggled to move but soon realized my body was not cooperating. My limbs were like ten ton weights. I couldn't lift or move anything, not even a finger. I had no control over my body. It was maddening and exhausting, even slightly suffocating. It was an endless struggle, like being locked in a dark box and fighting to discover a way out, when there was none. I quickly lost hope of movement and turned to the next obvious thing, my vision.

With every ounce of effort I had, I desperately tried to force my eye lids open, just to get a look at my surroundings. They were heavy and seemingly sewn shut. It was probably only minutes, but seemed like hours of frantic attempts to peel my eyelids apart. Second after second passed and my efforts were finally rewarded when I pushed my eyes open just a little. I peered through the thin slits of my lids to see two blurred and darkened figures nearby. It wasn’t enough to distinguish them from anyone, but it was comforting to know that I wasn't as alone as I suspected.

All I could make out was one shadowy figure sitting near the end of the bed and another slumped over onto the bed, resting its head next to me. It was then that I realized there was some pressure on my hand. It was almost like a rhythmic movement, like circles lightly brushed against my tepid skin. It seemed familiar, a sensation that I had experienced before. I tried to open my eyes further, but they became heavy and closed almost automatically, plunging me into darkness. My ears began ringing and my chest constricted a little.

It was then that I felt it, the flutter, the quiver of my weakening heart. I could see nothing but darkness and could only hear the muffled voices that surrounded me, but I felt the quivering. I recognized words and fragments but nothing that was coherent or made any sense at all. It was a feeling of pure confusion and restlessness. The more I tried to hear, the less I could decipher and the more I tried to move, the more my heart quivered and I couldn’t even remember what happened or why I was here, trapped in this ever weakening body. 

“Her heart…” “Get out…” “But I…” “Mira…” “Damage done…” “The baby…” “Not good…” “Tortured…” “It’s mine…” “Will die…” “Love her…” “Give up…”

On their own, those words made no sense in my confused mind. I struggled to remember, and moments later it all came back to me. That was when I remembered the baby, his baby, the fight and torture. All together, those faintly heard words painted a pretty grim picture. There had been a fight between Fenix and Nash over who fathered the baby, Mira and April were tortured, and now the baby was in danger. It was so much to take in, but I knew I couldn’t deny it. Either Mira, the baby or I was going to die, and quite possibly all three.