Hero

Three months later

--Robert--

"We are very sure about your product, Mr. Colter but I would love to visit before signing the deal." I said over the phone while twirling my pen with my right-hand fingers.

"We would be very happy about that, Mr. Tango." I received an answer.

"Good. I will make arrangements and will let my assistant contact yours." I disconnected. After making the notes about my call, I stretched up and walked out of my home office. 

Soon the aroma of freshly brewed coffee hit my nostrils. Eagerly, I walked towards the kitchen and greeted my housekeeper cum cook a bit loud, "Good morning, Nora."  

She jumped in shock, "Robert!! You are sneaky."

Moving forward, I winked at her and hopped on the stool.

"Haven't you gone for a run?" She asked. Her gaze travels to my fresh T-shirt which is not covered with sweat from my daily run.

I shook my head, "No. Work. Morning calls."

"You are working too much, son." She remarked while making arrangements for breakfast.

I shrugged, "That's because I love working."

She stared at me for a minute, "It doesn't look like that to me. It looks like you are escaping into work." I remained silent.

Nora has known me very well since childhood. She used to work for my maternal grandparents, who lived here in Seattle. 5 years back after their death, I settled here and Nora started to work for me. Her husband is a graphic designer. Her daughter was married to a doctor and lives in California.

"You miss her a lot," she stated.

Looking down at the granite counter top I nodded, "I still can't believe that it's been 2 years since the cancer took my mom. If we could have found it out earlier we could have saved her." I am a mama's boy. 2 years back I lost her and all of a sudden I felt completely dark. It nearly took me a year to come out of the shock.

Nora nodded, "I too miss her a lot. Just feel happy that she hasn't suffered much."

Looking up at her I smiled, "So what is on the menu for breakfast?"

"Scrambled eggs and sandwich?"

"Perfect. I will head to the gym." I stood up and turned around but was surprised to see Ethan Miller, my security chief approaching me.

"Good morning, Mr. Tango. Nora." He greeted us.

"You are early," I said.

"We have a small issue to talk about with you. Follow me, sir." Looks like something is fishy.

Entering the monitor room I found Ryder, my tech expert doing something with the systems, and also two more new people.

"What's going on?" I turned towards Ethan.

Ethan opened his mouth but suddenly my phone rang in my pocket. Retrieving it, I noticed that it was Thomas, my personal investigator.

"Thomas?" I greeted suspiciously. He never disturbed me unless it was an emergency.

"Good morning but I have bad news," Thomas said a bit cheerily.

I sighed. Trust Thomas to be sarcastic at important times, "I am listening."