Twenty-Six

Blowing out a puff of air, Steve looked over his hard work. All three babies with clean diapers and freshly powdered bottoms. But most importantly, in their pretty new party dresses. They were even wearing the matching headbands, which Steve found to be the biggest feat.

Now they were all on the floor with their own activity gyms and Steve felt like he could finally relax. Not realizing how difficult it would be to take care of the three by himself while Bucky, Oliver, and Finn went to pick up Kit's birthday cake.

Should've made one of the older boys stay.

"Papa, I help," Kit gained Steve's attention.

Finding the toddler tenderly brushing Bitsy's hair – despite the headband – with the biggest grin on his face. All the while, the birthday boy getting an earful as she cooed and occasionally squawked. Over the past couple of days, the girls had seemingly found their voices, and they weren't afraid to use them.

Nodding, Steve reached over to take the soft bristle brush from his son while encouraging, "That's so nice, thank you. But you're the birthday boy, so you don't have to do that."

"They look pretty for party," Kit agreed as he looked over his sisters. Even Bitsy with her now messy hair. Leaning down, Kit kissed Bitsy's forehead. Then, he turned and moved towards Cori to kiss her head, with Nevie being the last.

"They sure do," Steve smiled.

Setting the brush on the couch proved to be a threat towards Greg as she ran off from where she had been sleeping. Steve rolled his eyes at her dramatics. After all, the only one allowed to brush her hair was Bucky. They all knew that.

As Bitsy started to fuss, Steve lifted her into his arms and fixed her headband. Making sure the bow was facing the front. Soothing her, Steve assured, "You're okay. Papa's here."

Of course, that didn't seem to do anything. Always reminded that she was a daddy's girl, through and through. Making Steve wonder what would happen once Bucky went back to work.

Shaking his head to shake the thoughts away. Steve brought Bitsy up to hold her more comfortably as he rocked her. Just a simple sway that usually calmed the girls enough. And that's all Steve needed. Just to calm her enough that she realized she was okay. Then, he set her back on her playmat where she could practice her motor skills by reaching for the happy little objects that hung from the activity bar.

"See?" Steve marked her back as she started to coo more happily, "It wasn't so bad."

Kissing the side of her head, the door to the garage opened. Hearing more than just his guys, Steve's brows furrowed. Placing Bitsy back on her mat, Steve stood from this spot on the floor. Making his way to the kitchen just in time for Oliver and Tony to rush in from the mudroom.

"No running in the house!" Steve reprimanded as Finn tried to keep up and the three little boys raced up the staircase.

Carrying, the cake into the kitchen, Bucky smiled as he greeted Steve with a kiss, "How was it?"

"Fine," Steve shrugged, "Kit helped."

"See, told ya he would," Bucky set the cake down on the counter.

Playfully, Steve rolled his eyes and asked, "How'd it go with you? Especially with Tony joining."

"Yeah, sorry about that," Bucky chewed on his lower lip, "I probably shouldn't have agreed to let him stay without calling first, but –"