Chp. 1

I wasn’t sure how I felt about going away for the weekend with my four friends, I mean, getting away was always  good. Right? North Dakota, a camp, apparently there was a lake and everything… but would we be out in the middle of nowhere? No cell-phone reception?

I wasn’t sure if I could survive without that. 

Just having the thought of not being able to get in contact with someone in case of an emergency frightened me. It made me really uneasy, and it’s not that I didn’t want to go but it was just that… I really didn’t want to go. Although, I knew Kate wouldn’t take no for an answer, and I wasn’t enjoying the thought of trying to weasel my way out of this one. 

Me and Kate have been friends since the 7th grade when she moved to our small town from an even smaller town and we were in all the same classes. Explaining me and Kate’s relationship… it was weird. We were weird, but she was so much different from me. 

Outspoken, social butterfly, sexy, and a complete complementary of me. I was introverted, and even though I wasn’t completely shy, I usually kept my life a mystery to people. It wasn’t my fault, I had a lot of family problems and that taught me not to trust anyone. 

Kate was the only one I really trusted. 

Well her and Lyle of course. Lyle Lanely, he was just like Kate, I was surprised they haven’t gotten together yet, probably because Kate was the popular social butterfly while Lyle was the kind of guy that accepted mediocrity. Kate liked the socially drink while Lyle liked to get completely shit-faced and not be able to recall the night before. 

They were alike, yet they were completely different. 

But they were two of my closest friends, and the more I started to think about getting away from this town  and hang out with my two best friends… the more I convinced myself to continue to pack. 

Sure,  I knew it was going to be five of us, not just me, Kate, and Lyle, besides… I knew what Lyle would try to accomplish with me and Kate if it was just the three of us. And personally, I didn’t like the idea of that one bit. 

Nathan and Zeke were tagging along with Lyle as well, but we all were familiar with each other. We went to school together, and we had hung out a couple of times before… but it was one of the reasons I was uneasy about the entire situation. 

We would be an odd number, but the good thing about it was, there were more guys then girls, so I felt more safe. 

I wondered if Kate was going to hook up with Nathan, I knew they both had done it before but never made it official. Kate wasn’t a slut, don’t get the wrong idea, she just fell head over heels for Nathan and Nathan was to oblivious to see it. 

Typical guy. 

I rolled my eyes at the thought, maybe they could sort out their mental frustrations… and their sexual ones as well. 

We were taking two cars, I was guessing me and Kate in one and the guys in the other. That part didn’t seem to bad, we wouldn’t be crowded for the hour and a half we would have to drive to make it out there by night fall.